Posts: 75 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ United States
Hey everyone,

It's my first (technically second) post here and all, and I'd just like to leave you all with some of my thoughts before I go on to bed. Although I'm a newly registered user, I've actually been lingering on these forums for quite a while now.. I've just never had the urge to register to post, that is, until now.

Lately as I've been browsing through these forums, all I've been practically noticing is nothing but the overwhelming negativity. Countless threads were made about people wanting to jump ship to go to Android or the iPhone and the staggering quality of the Ovi Store and apps, and above all, MeeGo not being officially supported.

As a N900 owner and user among you all, I know I can speak for us all when I say that at the very least we're all a bit disappointed at how all these recent events have turned out. However, what good does it do for any of us when all we do is gripe and complain about it? Granted we're all allowed to share our opinions and thoughts, we need to think ahead and realize what kind of atmosphere and outlook it creates for us.

I bought the N900 with no background in Linux and just being a casual smartphone user, not a hacker/developer type. Do I dislike the N900? No. I personally love the keyboard after having to text on a touch screen device for the past few years. I love the browser too much, as well as the integrated Skype and Conversations IM plugin. I love the notifications and the way they pop up and slide across the screen.

I bought the N900 as it was, with Maemo. I didn't buy it and EXPECT a future update to MeeGo. I bought it, HOPING for an update to MeeGo. Nokia decides to not offer support and it hurts, yeah, but I've been using it on Maemo prior to all of this, so I know it's not going to kill me.

It's late here and I'm getting tired, but I hope you guys can all understand my point here. You may or may not agree with or like my examples, but what I'm trying to say is why don't we make this environment a little more bearable.. for ourselves, if not, for others? Try to appreciate the phone as you've always used it, the little things that you used to appreciate so much. If you can't, then try doing so for others that still love their phone. And if you still can't, try doing so for the rest of this community and all the developers that try their best to it a little more bearable for everyone else.

Please. Many things in life have it's shortcomings one way or the other, but it all depends on how you view it and what you make out of it. Why don't we all try looking at the bright side of things for just one more time? Especially with the lack of official support, we can turn no where else but to this community for our main support.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to itsANDREW For This Useful Post:
Posts: 102 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Good for you.

I cannot believe we now have a community so protective of the N900 that people are posting "I love you just the way you are" threads. I might puke.

I like the N900 just fine and the devs here do an awesome job. All good.

Nokia have behaved ridiculously throughout. OVI store is DOA. The device has been a failure in many respects.

Does it do any good to whinge and moan about the various problems? Dunno. Maybe. If Nokia are aware of the moans on this site (which it seems they are) then it might. Possibly not. But it is good to have somewhere to vent. Let the venters do it.

Then the fanbois. God bless them. If you wanted something more than exactly what was in the box when you bought it then it is all your fault? That's a pathetic argument. We are all entitled to legitimate expectations. An app store that works. An OS that isn't buggy as hell. (PR1.2. has been a step in the right direction) OVI Maps that delievers to the same standard as on the Symbian platform.

They owe us nothing in law. They owe us support where we have paid good money and given loyalty and good faith.

The N900 is technically superior to most mobile devices out there. It will fall behind soon. Very soon. That's life. Nokia could keep it near the top for longer with proper support and updates of basic services and functions. If they chose not to, put up with for a year or two and then move on to the next tool/toy and see whether it's any better. Odds are, it will be in some ways and not in others. Remember how you are treated by Nokia. Don't expect Apple to be any better. Who knows when it comes to Google/HTC/Acer/Samsung etc. One thing is for sure, there'll be a forum and people will ***** on it. And people will ***** about the *****ing.

The Following User Says Thank You to bjknight For This Useful Post:
Posts: 32 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Liberty, SC
I agree with Andrew when he said we bought the device and its not fair to expect Nokia, a company whose business is to sell phones, to make upgrades to "new" OS's for older hardware and technically MeeGo is a new OS. The advertisements and specs we all read and enticed us to buy the N900 said "Meamo 5" not Meamo 5 and any other newer OS's we develop later. It would be nice since the specs seam to say it should work but it is unreasonable to expect Nokia to provide it - they are under no obligation.

BUT, Andrew forums like this are for the purpose to share experiences both good and bad on a product this one specifically on the diffident generations of NIT (N770, N8x0 and N900). coming here we all should expect a fair amount of that Bjknight called "*****ing". Have any of you read the "rants" the N770 users made about being abandoned as the more recent updates for the N8x0 came out and then both of them collectivity when Meamo 5 came out?

I too get tired of reading people who are just just ranting too. they prove they are for the most part ether just disappointed in a very expensive device they had high hopes for or that they are just very childish people. make no mistake there have been some posts that would make you think the person was a spoiled three year old throwing a temper tantrum not an intelligent adult looking for answer to a problem. Personally I tend to just breeze on past any that are not constructive or helpful to to what ever problem (or feature/improvement) I am interested in learning more about. you just have to know that when you come to an open forum there will be negative people with you.

We all waited and spent a lot of time "*****ing" as Bjknight put it about how long Nokia delayed the N900 release. We (I) heard the rumors it was coming out late in 2008. We started looking for its release in June/July 09 waited for it in August 2009, September 2009, October 2009 and FINALLY November 2009. then we "*****ed" about the "in stock" shortages and the long delivery schedules. Don't get me started on the $50 rebate fiasco <sp?> many are still "*****ing" about that six months later and I admit I only got mine because I threw a BIG "three year old like tantrum" not at Nokia but the company they hired to administer the rebate program, their number is on all the rebate documentation.

in some of the few news updates Nokia made they said the delivery delays were due to software problems they were working out. Don't you think Nokia felt a huge amount of pressure from all of us to get our order filled. they were not making any return on their investments during all that time and getting cancellations from all directions. That does not excuse them for releasing a buggy OS but everyone agrees they did. So dont you think that the PR1.2 release delay had some merit?

That is just my two cents worth Andrew I agree with you but do what I do skip the rants that dont help you. We all should just agree we all have opinions about our product some of us like/love it despite its short comings and are here looking for ways to work around them. others find it worthless and a waste of money (their words from many rants), for you sell it, throw it away or smash it (again their words) do what ever you want to do with it and good luck finding the "perfect" device that serves all your needs. I doubt you will never find it and will always be disappointed.

Last edited by fpbrooks; 2010-06-06 at 14:43.

The Following User Says Thank You to fpbrooks For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Remember how you are treated by Nokia. Don't expect Apple to be any better.
No, expect Apple to treat you better.

I don't understand the desperate need for Meego. When it is released it will be new and raw like Maemo was when the N900 was first out. So I expect bugs and lots of missing features. Why everyone is dying for more of that is beyond me. I expect to hold on to Maemo for my main N900.
But I do have an extra N900 and will likely test out Meego on it if I can. If I didn't have that I would certainly stick with Maemo. Works pretty well for me (with the exception of BT keyboard support).

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Quite a few devices are expected to take up the OS as opposed to just one so I expect support and progress to be faster

apple treats their customers much better - their customers expect things to "just work" and so apple supports them to makes sure this happens

Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
apple treats their customers much better - their customers expect things to "just work" and so apple supports them to makes sure this happens

but you are forgetting that apple creates a golden cage for its customers..

See bold, operative words IMHO. It is all hope and dreams. Where did it get us with Maemo?

Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
Quite a few devices are expected to take up the OS as opposed to just one so I expect support and progress to be faster