Active Topics

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Finland
You all know the quarrel that Adobe and Apple have over Flash. What started from Flash not being open for developers and therefore Apple not having control over Adobe, has became almost a war with big companies on both sides (HTML5 VS Flash).

Steve Jobs has clearly stated that Apple stands behind the "open" internet. Recently published demos of HTML5 from Apple tell a different story...

http://www.apple.com/html5/

Any other browser besides Safari is unable to play those widgets. This fact is clearly in contradiction with Apple's comments of how open the HTML5 will be developers (which is advertised on the same page). I personally believe this is an attempt from Apple to try to "hog" HTML5 for itself...

Last edited by AtteK0; 2010-06-07 at 09:06.

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Finland
It seems that it is possible to view those demos with Chrome or Mozilla or IE. The user agent of a browser must be changed into one of a Safari one...

Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
You sir, are an idiot.

The reason they only allow Safari is because they only tested it with Safari. They're not in charge of IE or Firefox, so they can't test it.

Originally Posted by From the very website you linked
The demos below show how the latest version of Apple’s Safari web browser, new Macs, and new Apple mobile devices all support the capabilities of HTML5, CSS3, and JavaScript. Not all browsers offer this support. But soon other modern browsers will take advantage of these same web standards — and the amazing things they enable web designers to do.
How is this a problem? They can't vouch for Opera or Mozilla, so they only allow Safari. Don't see how that makes them want to "control everything" or "hog HTML5 for themselves"...

Stop crying wolf, and start using your brain.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by CrashandDie View Post
You sir, are an idiot.

/.../

Reported again. Why this person is not banned is beyond me.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Posts: 101 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
nothing to add but ha haaaaaaaaaa

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Toronto
You sir, are an idiot.

The reason they only allow Safari is because they only tested it with Safari. They're not in charge of IE or Firefox, so they can't test it.

How is this a problem? They can't vouch for Opera or Mozilla, so they only allow Safari. Don't see how that makes them want to "control everything" or "hog HTML5 for themselves"...

Is a person not allowed his/her own opinion without being called an idiot?

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ India
We may not agree on the 'walled garden' apple is building across the Internet,but we shd give it to apple in the way they come up with promising devices every time.

have watched the iphone 4...and boy it looks promising

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I'm not in charge of any browser, though I test my web apps in about a dozen browsers under several different platforms and I even can call them compatible with those browsers.

The only reason Apple is not testing in any other browser is because they don't want to.

Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
I'm not in charge of any browser, though I test my web apps in about a dozen browsers under several different platforms and I even can call them compatible with those browsers.
Very true, however Apple has never started this trend. Google did it with YouTube (demoing the HTML5 page only working with Firefox 3). Since January when they released this version, the HTML page on YouTube has been replaced where you can opt-in to the HTML5 beta. They now also support other browsers (but at the time it was only Safari and Firefox).

Let's not forget that HTML5 is still in draft, and has not been finalised at all; same for CSS3. Plus, some of the samples on Apple's page use Javascript as well. As such, they can only guarantee the features that have been implemented in their own products. If they'd allowed Firefox, IE and Opera on the page, I'm pretty sure nearly everything would break, simply because even though specific bits of the HTML5 draft are so solid they are nearly usable, any breakage would 1/ discredit HTML5 as a whole, 2/ have <insert browser here> flame Apple for doing everything to break the other browsers.

It's a nice tech demo, they are leading the front against Flash which is something than anyone who loves the Open Web should support, and nice tech demos are things that convince people to put money into it. If anything, we need stuff like this. I would encourage Mozilla to demonstrate how awesome their implementation of HTML5 + CSS3 is. Same to Opera, and same to Google.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
On the internet, nobody "vouches" for any browser - one of the fundamental ideas of the web is that anyone can use any half-baked piece of software to access whats out there. If I use Lynx or Dillo to view "HTML" 5 content, it's my problem, not theirs.

Apple are freaks. I'm afraid of them.