Notices

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Ok... so I know there are threads out there about how to convert movies for the n900 using programs on the PC. But is there anything out there that allows you to do this directly on the n900? Being able to download a torrent, encode it, and play it on the spot would be positively bad a**

Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
would me interest too.but first where you will find a torrent?i have a rapidshare account but i dont think that it works on my n900.

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

Originally Posted by atilla View Post
would me interest too.but first where you will find a torrent?i have a rapidshare account but i dont think that it works on my n900.
I have yet to try it but supposedly transmission works quite well for downloading torrents.

The Following User Says Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I'm not sure what you mean. There are at least two torrent clients for the N900.

@OP: I'm not sure of exactly what software you'd want to use, but what are you trying to do, exactly? SD video plays fine on the N900 as-is, in my experience, and while encoding/transcoding video on-device is surely possible, I don't think it would be terribly practical. If you wanted to download an HD movie and convert it to something the N900 can play, all on-device, then you may as well go home and do it there, in terms of the time and battery drain.

If you're meaning something else, please clarify.
Cheers,

Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
I have yet to try it but supposedly transmission works quite well for downloading torrents.
It does, but the I/O (both flash and network) do put quite a load on the phone. You'll probably not want to be using it heavily while torrenting.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
bad a*ss? "Look time estimated for conversion 2d13h45m and best of is that i can't basically run any other app while it encodes"

Hmmm..sorry

Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
Originally Posted by jaem View Post
I'm not sure what you mean. There are at least two torrent clients for the N900.

@OP: I'm not sure of exactly what software you'd want to use, but what are you trying to do, exactly? SD video plays fine on the N900 as-is, in my experience, and while encoding/transcoding video on-device is surely possible, I don't think it would be terribly practical. If you wanted to download an HD movie and convert it to something the N900 can play, all on-device, then you may as well go home and do it there, in terms of the time and battery drain.

If you're meaning something else, please clarify.
Cheers,
really?niiice.soo where i can find these clients?extras devel?

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

Originally Posted by slender View Post
bad a*ss? "Look time estimated for conversion 2d13h45m and best of is that i can't basically run any other app while it encodes"

Hmmm..sorry

??... what are you quoting

Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
??... what are you quoting
I'm guessing the number was pulled out of the air, but it probably isn't a bad guess. Now, with the OMAP4, you might have a chance, although it still probably wouldn't be the best idea...

really?niiice.soo where i can find these clients?extras devel?
I thought Transmission was in -testing, at least. As for the one or two others, I've never tried them, and I don't know if they work, or how well. My advice is to stick with Transmission for now.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: