Notices

Closed Thread
Friends,
Recently I bought N900 . I have a fixed data plan . But whenever i try to use VOIP for calling, the automatic updates run without invoking and eats up too much data. Please suggest how to turn off or disable automatic updates.

Moderator EDIT:

Disabling Auto Updates Check

You may want to disable the automatic software updates checks that occur upon internet connection, in order to consume less bandwidth when using 2G/3G connections. That is not possible but you may increase the interval to something less bothering. You can do so by editing the gconf file found in /var/lib/gconf/apps/hildon/update-notifier and changing the check interval from 1440(24 hours) to a much larger value (the value is read in minutes, 525600 is 365 days). The value must not exceed 2,147,483,647:

Code:
gconftool -s --type int /apps/hildon/update-notifier/check_interval NEW_VALUE

Last edited by chemist; 2011-04-07 at 14:34. Reason: http://wiki.maemo.org/Customizing_Maemo#Disabling_Auto_Updates_Check

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ansari For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Get another phone. It is madness to have an N900 without a data plan IMHO.

In the meantime you can disable all the application repositories, but you will hav to enable them again when you are in Wi Fi range.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Posts: 199 | Thanked: 156 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Holland
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...619#post713619
Just saw this thread, seems to be a good solution! (haven't tried it myself though..)

Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
Get another phone. It is madness to have an N900 without a data plan IMHO.

In the meantime you can disable all the application repositories, but you will hav to enable them again when you are in Wi Fi range.
Thank you very much for your quick response..

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Hi,

Does it uodate ONLY on wifi?
I was wondering how some apps updated to the latest version without any action from my side.
I'm going abroad on holiday and don't like to find a very big bill from the phone company.

How do I disable the repo's?

Thnx for your answers

kage

Originally Posted by kagepc View Post
How do I disable the repo's?
- Open HAM (the application manager that's installed on your phone from the beginning). It's called 'App manager' in the main menu.
- Click on the title bar at the top of the screen.
- Press on the button called 'Application catalogues'.
- Open the items in the list, one by one.
- For each, check the 'disable' box at the bottom of the screen that pops up.

Done.

HAM will not see the repositories so will not be able to update. From my experience this prevents you from being able to do apt-get.

Before you do the above, you might like to install Faster Application Manager (FAM). This does not update software automatically but does allow you to install and update programmes when you choose - it can operate when HAM has all repositories off.

disable updates

Code:
gconftool -s -t int /apps/hildon/update-notifier/check_interval 1440000

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Belgrade
and say this maybe a solution: what about to make a script that would disable and/or enable all of catalogues in HAM??? in that way, it is easy to desable automatic update, and in a easy click, you can enable it, and browse trough catalogues if you want...

what do you think... is it possible???

Nice. That's the other way.

Be aware that although, the time declared in that command is a very long time, they're not actually disbled.

Also, I didn't want to suggest anything via the terminal because the request implied a need for more knowledge of how to use HAM so thought a more GUI-orientated approach might suit better?

edit: I'm sure a script is possible but probably best to it by hand?

Last edited by demolition; 2011-04-07 at 12:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Thnx a lot guys!
Demolition is right.
I needed something in gui
I disabled everything

once again: thanks

kage

The Following User Says Thank You to kagepc For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread