Posts: 267 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Austria
Hello there!

I've searched the forums and found endless topics on some MMC bug corrupting the microSD cards, but
1) all of them are pretty old and the bugtracker swears that this bug has been gotten rid of long ago
2) it seems like back then, the filesystem was corrupted and thus upon mounting it was set to read-only

The thing is, I have that very same problem on my shiny new N900, but in the mount list my MMC1 drive is actually shown as read-and-write and fsck claims that everything is okay.

When I put the card into a card-reader and plug it into my desktop PC, everything works just fine and all of my analysis tools tell me that there's not a single problem with my card. I even formatted it repeatedly, first to FAT, then to different filesystems (ext3 currently).

But as soon as it's back into my N900, whatever I try to do I always get the message that my MMC1 is set to read-only.

Does anybody have an idea on what is going wrong here?

(In case it matters, it's a SanDisk 16GB microSDHC and it DID work at first)

Thanks in advance

Hope it's okay to bring my own thread back up (if not, please just let me know), but I still haven't found a solution for my problem.

Originally Posted by Nathraiben View Post
Hello there!

I've searched the forums and found endless topics on some MMC bug corrupting the microSD cards, but
1) all of them are pretty old and the bugtracker swears that this bug has been gotten rid of long ago
2) it seems like back then, the filesystem was corrupted and thus upon mounting it was set to read-only

The thing is, I have that very same problem on my shiny new N900, but in the mount list my MMC1 drive is actually shown as read-and-write and fsck claims that everything is okay.

When I put the card into a card-reader and plug it into my desktop PC, everything works just fine and all of my analysis tools tell me that there's not a single problem with my card. I even formatted it repeatedly, first to FAT, then to different filesystems (ext3 currently).

But as soon as it's back into my N900, whatever I try to do I always get the message that my MMC1 is set to read-only.

Does anybody have an idea on what is going wrong here?

(In case it matters, it's a SanDisk 16GB microSDHC and it DID work at first)

Thanks in advance

Try to do low-level formating.

The Following User Says Thank You to aligatro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Indeed, remounting ro is usually a sign of corruption. fsck or formatting helps, making sure you test clusters (no quick format).

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following User Says Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Thanks, aligatro and ndi!

I already tried that, though, to no avail.

And what's really puzzling is the fact that it is actually NOT mounted ro, but rw - at least according to mount. Only when I try to write something onto it do I get the message that it's read-only.

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Germany
yes, i have the same problem with my SanDisk 16GB microSDHC.
Sometimes it works for a while but then, the filesystem is corrupted again when writing to the microSDHC.

As i didn't find any recent complains about this issues from other users (u're the first!) i thought, it must be a problem of the SanDisk card.

I also found out that it *maybe* is a problem of a loose contact because after pressing the card tightly into it's slot, i could write for a while to the card but after a few days (maybe because of shaking the device), i had the corrupt files again.

Note, that the microSDHC card works perfectly on my linux machine and also a low-level check didn't reveal any errors with that card/filesystem!

I finally decided to format it (vfat) again with my linux machine and put 16GB of music on the disk. Reading from the card works so far and once i even accidentally took a photo and stored it on the external microSDHC card. Luckily, the filesystem is still fine :-)

So it may be a combination of loose contact, microSDHC card (because others don't have problems) and Maemo-Bug in writing to external cards.

regards,
nexus

P.S. Didn't try to write to the card since PR1.2. So maybe it now works? But i don't want to test it :-) I got my N900 only a few weeks before PR1.2 was released. Lucky me!

Last edited by nexus101; 2010-06-17 at 10:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to nexus101 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
My money is on an incompatibility. I'd swap cards with a friend, see how that goes. Warranty on cards is life. If the friend card works, you can always take it back and swap it for a different card, maybe even a different manufacturer.

Could easily be a contact, though. Check card contacts and clean them, no chemicals. Try to see if one has moved/lowered.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following User Says Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Quite a couple of good ideas (and it's good to see I'm not alone in this... )! Thanks to both of you.

Guess I'll just switch cards with my X1 for a while and wait how either of them is faring in the other device. Maybe I'm lucky and it works (since both cards are from different manufacturers).

You could try

sudo chmod 777 /media/mmc1