Active Topics

Hey all, I just saw something interesting (and sad too) on google finances. Check this graph out:

You can see Apple eating Nokia alive since the 3-4 last years, date at which the iPhone came out.
I'm not saying that to talk against Nokia, I love Nokia, but they should seriously consider having a user-friendly smartphone to fight the iPhone!!!
N900, IMO, isn't for everybody, even though I think it's the greatest device ever.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Oh, here's another graph to show how much the iDevices matter to Apple now:

Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Stocks do not necessarily reflect the health nor actual value of the company... remember dotcoms?

The Following User Says Thank You to Vinh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
@gtessier00 share price is a bit subjective - it's really a market estimation. What would be good is the price to earnings ratio over time of both, as that would give you a better indication of how well they're actually being run (admittedly from an investors perspective)
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
also please note its the new york stock exchange. nokia trade in more countries than apple can count.

as cashclientl mentioned the share price is subjective. of course apples share price would be greater in the US market. nokia makes little to no real effort in the North American market.

The Following User Says Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Thanks for all the answers guys, very interesting!

but then I heard from report that Apple became the largest capitalization tech company about 1 mth ago(ie. bigger than MS). So, it does count for something

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
what does market capitalisation value have to do with the quality of the products? it just shows apple have more equity on whatever market you're looking at than other companies on that market.

lest it not be said though that apples rise and growth since woznak and jobs took it over is literally amazing. isn't it something stupid like instead of buying a first gen ipod @ $300 you'd bought apple shares they'd now be worth $12,000 :s
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
what does market capitalisation value have to do with the quality of the products?
It makes the shareholders very happy.