Active Topics

Hi,

this is the 3rd time that my n900 battery get`s emptied in under 5h without doing anything on the device. I think I found the cause;

If I look in TOP the process "icd2" consumes 75 - 95% CPU and 10 - 20 % mem.

I guess this isn`t the normal behavior. Can somebody tell me what icd2 actually do ? So maybe I can find the bad programm causing it to hang and leech my battery.

thanks

Ok playing around in xterm:

~ $ dpkg --search /usr/sbin/icd2
icd2: /usr/sbin/icd2

So we know the executable lives in a package called icd2.

~ $ dpkg --status icd2
Description: Internet connectivity daemon

So it's part of the internet system on the phone. Either it's bugged and running out of control, or some other program is bugged and keeping it busy. What other programs are you runnung? Are you logged on to any instant messaging system?

I'm sure that was the name of the process for the Twitter widget that got pulled. I'm not completely certain though.

@Reffyyyy

It doesn't appear to be part of any twitter widget, but a part of the os itself. (I know, because I have the file and have never installed any twitter widget because it would be useless to me)

But I'm guessing any internet connected program (such as a twitter widget) could use it and cause it to eat cpu. If icd2 has a bug that the program triggers, or the program is buggy and abuses icd2.

I think we need to know more about what else is running if we want to diagnose this.

@solariz

What firmware version are you on? Is the phone/table connected to any wlan when it happens? Is it searching for wlan?

Hi,

It`s Maemo 5 Version 10.2010.19-1

I can`t reproduce the problem until now it cam up 3 times. Normaly im not online the whole day only several times a day manuall checking new mails / facebook / twitter. So WLAN Search is turned off.

Only active internet based widget I use is the facebook widget. Twitter i use within the browser.

thanks

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Göteborg, Sweden
I'm seeing the same thing today. Have not seen this before.

same thing with me today. had the cpu clocked to 850 and icd2 pounded the cpu all night. its pretty warm

same here. for couple days now. i upgraded faster application manager yesterday. could that be the problem? thats only new thing on my n900 for few days now.

I usually see this process consume too much cpu when two applications compete for web access. Run Hermes and the try to do an update on application manager.

So I presume in your case that some widgets or background applications is persistently accessing the internet.

Hello, I can confirm, in my case this was also the Hermes application which caused this state. After the Hermes sync was done, this process remained running even if I turned off Hermes.
Like written here above, I tried to switch off the wifi by the wifi switcher (I did not used it, Hermes sync run over GPRS, but it was on) and after some time the CPU load has been decreased to normal.