Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Ok so I installed SSH I while back, which was awesome because I could access my entire filesystem. I used Winscp a couple times to change some icons, fonts, etc. nothing major. However, when I tried to connect the n900 in mass storage mode I can't transfer anything via USB. It shows all my folders and says that the drive is FAT32 and 27gb with 19 free. But then if I try to transfer something there, it says that the file is too large for the destination filesystem (it is a 4 gb file). I uninstalled SSH and restarted the phone but to no avail.

Any ideas?? I just want to put some damn movies on my phone

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Last edited by cfh11; 2010-07-08 at 01:46.

For what its worth, I cant seem to transfer via PC Suite either. The file gets about halfway done and then says the n900 is busy and never recovers. I have done lsof | grep MyDocs in Xterm but it says that nothing is using MyDocs. Wtf?

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
Ok so I installed SSH I while back, which was awesome because I could access my entire filesystem. I used Winscp a couple times to change some icons, fonts, etc. nothing major. However, when I tried to connect the n900 in mass storage mode I can't transfer anything via USB. It shows all my folders and says that the drive is FAT32 and 27gb with 19 free. But then if I try to transfer something there, it says that the file is too large for the destination filesystem (it is a 4 gb file). I uninstalled SSH and restarted the phone but to no avail.

Any ideas?? I just want to put some damn movies on my phone
Not sure if this is your problem, but is probably related. I have had trouble with files larger then 2GB on FAT32 file systems. (FWIW NOT on N900 or Linux systems)
If I remember right MS backup requires 2GB max backups before it splits the file on FAT32 systems.
Note the file size limits in this article.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314463

I use tablet-encode for most of my N8x0 and N900 videos.
Also I limit my FAT partition size as I use it only for emergencies.
I use scp to transfer files to and from my storage server.
Hope this helps.
Take care.

Last edited by rustler; 2010-07-08 at 02:50. Reason: Typos - Working from my N900

The Following User Says Thank You to rustler For This Useful Post:
Hmmm thanks i will look into that. But it did download the file via transmission so i know it can write a file that large...

well, does it work if you try with smaller files?

regardless, the encoding of the 4gb movie may be more than the n900 can realistically use / handle

"The maximum possible size for a file on a FAT32 volume is 4 GiB minus 1 byte (232−1 bytes). Video applications, large databases, and some other software easily exceed this limit. Larger files require another formatting type such as NTFS."

Personally, I wouldn't transfer anything bigger than 2gb. It'd be tough to process. Even 8gb dumps of wikipidia are split into files of 500mb

The Following User Says Thank You to Corso85 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
Hmmm thanks i will look into that. But it did download the file via transmission so i know it can write a file that large...
Any progress on your video transfers?
What did you use "transmission" on to download file?
More specifically, where did you save the file as you downloaded it?

The reason I jumped on the FAT32 file system thing was that you mentioned "half way done", "mass storage mode" and "PC-Suite" which, I believe, can only automount a FAT partition.

FWIW everything under /home/user/MyDocs/ is on a FAT file system as is a SD card if you haven't reformatted it.
There are a lot of ways to solve this. You just need to find one that works for you
Take care.