Active Topics

If the cursor's in a text box and there is nothing in there, or if it's after the space after a period, I cannot make the damn thing do a lower case character, except by writing two of them, then cursoring back and deleting the caps

To reproduce:

Write this in a text, excluding the "" marks
"HELLO. "

that a period followed by a space at the end

Now how do you insert a lower case character? If you press w, it inserts W, it you tap shift, it still inserts W, if you hold shift.. it inserts W

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
No,there isn't a way, it's very annoying.

For example, when writing a text message such as "This world cup... it's a bit rubbish", the "i" in "it's" first appears as a captial so I then have to type "Ii" and delete the capitalised letter. In effect I have to type I-I-left-delete-right when I'd be happier pressing shift then I as I know the keyboard has now switched into "uppercase" mode so there should be a way to force it back into lowercase mode.

Been meaning to file a bug for this for some days now.

Posts: 313 | Thanked: 247 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ USA
Press Shift twice to enter the CAPS lock mode, now keeping the Shift pressed, press W - it should type the lower case "w"

Last edited by dsawhney; 2010-07-08 at 19:20.

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ California, USA
Or turn off the auto-complete, auto-capitalization stuff in your phone settings.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slvr32 For This Useful Post:
Bug #10898 opened - vote for it if this annoys you.

Originally Posted by dsawhney View Post
Press Shift twice to enter the CAPS lock mode, now keeping the Shift pressed, press W - it should type the lower case "w"
No, that doesn't work - you still get a capital W. Even though CAPS LOCK is enabled and then disabled (three presses of the SHIFT key in total) the next letter is still a capital, which is clearly wrong.

Originally Posted by slvr32 View Post
Or turn off the auto-complete, auto-capitalization stuff in your phone settings.
Yes, that would work (probably, haven't tried it) but auto capitalisation is a useful feature so it should be improved rather than disabled.

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ T.M.O
@Milhouse.

The bug report already exists and its been marked Fixed.

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10310

The Following User Says Thank You to un-named_user For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Yes, that would work (probably, haven't tried it) but auto capitalisation is a useful feature so it should be improved rather than disabled.
Maybe it also should read your thoughts and convert them to SMSs? how computer can understand if you finished the sentence with "..." or it's just a middle of it?
So it's okay and it's like on other phones or any place. just turn that thing off and use caps fro capitals letters.

Posts: 188 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Bug #10898 opened - vote for it if this annoys you.

No, that doesn't work - you still get a capital W. Even though CAPS LOCK is enabled and then disabled (three presses of the SHIFT key in total) the next letter is still a capital, which is clearly wrong.

Doublepress shft to lock caps, then hold shift and type letter and its lowercase. See: test. k

cell-modem-ui: home | packages - status: 0.5.1-1 in Extras
nowplayingd: home | packages - status: 0.1-2 in extras-devel
custom-pwkmenu: home - no packages yet.

Originally Posted by un-named_user View Post
@Milhouse.

The bug report already exists and its been marked Fixed.

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10310
Many thanks - I did a quick search but couldn't find it, doh. I've now marked the new bug as a dupe.

Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
how computer can understand if you finished the sentence with "..." or it's just a middle of it?
I guess you haven't understood a word of what people have said in this thread or in the numerous bugs that have been opened to address this issue?

Bugs #10391, #10273, #10432, #10697, #10724, #10898 and of course #10310.

Read them, then understand the issue and also the solution.