i don't know if it's just me or is it that support for the n900 is getting slim and not a lot has come out. i did my research and was excited about the phone itself and what it could do, so i sold my iphone and choose it over other android devices. i was amazed at first on the apps and things that the phone can do. but now it's already becoming limited. the unit has been out for a very long time. the maemo os even longer, but why so little to do? i sold my iphone thinking this would be an answer to my quest on a unit that can do so many things, i find nokia phones running in s60 to be more on the things that i'm after, but i sold my 5800 as well.

i hope some can atleast have s60 symbian apps and games run on this thing.

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norwich, UK
Purely out of curiosity, exactly what is it, in terms of software, or realistic *amounts* of software, that you're after with Maemo?
You've mentioned games, at a quick look there're 84 games (or games-related emulators, for which there are approx. 10, each of which opens up the possibility of tens/hundreds of games for other platforms) in Extras, as well as a few showing up in Ovi (5 or 6 paid games have hit Ovi in the past couple of weeks, as well as some excellent free non-game software such as Instinctiv), im just curious as to what, exactly, your expectations are.
Seeing an app store with tens of thousands of apps isnt and never was going to happen for the N900, Maemo is first and foremost a niche operating platform (its used by ONE little-known geek-oriented device) if that was your expectation then really you should have shot for an Android or S60 device.

not games perse. the phone is great, amazing i might add to what it could do and compared to other smart phones it may be considered a monster. just am just worried about the support it's getting

I think it would be more productive to list things you need but cannot do with the phone because there is not app for that, rather then writing general complaints.

The number of apps is irrelevant. What IS relevant is if there are things you want to do, and should be able to do if someone developed the right app.

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
The problem is varying expectations.

Mine are, pretty much, that you have x-term and ssh. This time, those things pretty much save my first day of vacation, because I can ssh into our production server, vim the Apache config, and restart the web server. That's something that would normally require me to at least carry my laptop with me to the beach for the 2 minutes of work, but now I can just take my N900. There's your counter-example for limitation.

For the true Unix nerds, yes, I could use at. but I do like the hands on approach and the fact that I can also fix things that go wrong (they will, every once in a while) right away.

To me, that is something that does not really lose it's value over time.

Last edited by juise-; 2010-07-11 at 00:53. Reason: Language issues, hopefully fixed.

The Following User Says Thank You to juise- For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
You are a right about it not being a feature smartphone e.g choice of voice guided navigation software etc. Most would say it wasn't marketed to that purpose however.

Same here regarding usability.

N900 runs cPanel, WHM and every javascript web app (flash too) that I need to use to keep our servers alive. SSH is a bonus.

In fact, the most used app on the N900 is the same one that I use the most on my PCs - the browser. I have no time for games (not a facetious statement, a fact). The second app is the email client and it works very well, even when writing very long replies.

The browsing and content creation experience on the N900 is awesome. For the few sites that do not render correctly on the N900 browser (MicroB), there is a full desktop level Firefox 1.1

In fact MicroB is far superior to any desktop version of the Microsoft Internet Explorer, for example, and none of the mobile specific browsers on other devices rate a mention.

V.

I agree, the phone is amazing and definitely full of potential, but the lack of support and disregard of the device by nokia is swaying me to head to android and the htc desire.

It's a true geeks phone and I am only skimming the surface of what the n900 can do ( i've oc'd etc) and I've no reason to get excited over x-term and things like that.

I also want a bigger screen :P

I want to be able to love Nokia and my N900 but it feels like I've bought this great young football player who's not turning out as well as everyone expected. After owning an N95, N96 and N97 beforehand, I've definitely given Nokia plenty of chances but I'm starting to feel like I'm "over" my n900.

It makes me a bit sad inside.

What is it about the n900 that attracts these people?

That's what I want to know.

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Planet Earth for now!
In my opion the only thing disappointing about the device, is the the actual phone itself, and yes I know it was marketed as a tablet with phone features but some of the basic phone functions weren't put in how is that possible form a phone maker?
But everything else about the device is amazing. Nothing out there is at this level quite yet.