Hey guys after a good few months of using the N900 (which i loved apart from the shocking battery life no matter what i tried) i did a swap with a guy for a HD2 about 6 weeks ago, mainly due to the fact i was going travelling and wanted to take some PS1 games along the way (as you all know the emulator on the HD2 pretty much runs flawlessly)

Now im back, and as much as the screen is awesome, Winmo pretty much sucks, before anyone says im not going down the android route again yet, been there done that, not gonna venture there until gingerbread

Now when i left the Maego scene just after pr1.2 was released, lots of rumours that that would be the last update (all speculation)

im wanting to know what the future holds for N900, will nokia still roll out updates? What is the case with Meego? iv read alot on it this morning seen a few videos but whats the chances this will be ported fully working?

Many thanks guys

oh and i have done an extensive amount of reading on the subjects but cant find anything other that speculation, which im sure is all we probably have to go on at the moment

what does the future hold for the N900?
what does the future hold for each one of us?

no one knows. but if you want, we can speculate a lot

The Following User Says Thank You to clasificado For This Useful Post:
im more bothered about the development side, and what the chances are of getting devs in the future to port meego over, and get it fully working.

As for nokia, there updates have been pretty poor for every phone i have had, i dont hold much hope on that side for continued support

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Anyone remember Newton?

N900 has more potential.

what does the future hold for the N900?
what does the future hold for each one of us?

I see that most of techie guys have bought this mobile...so it is in our hand how we want to take N900 further...

Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
Anyone remember Newton?

N900 has more potential.
This post is epic, but only if you are 40-50 years old. You know who you are

The Following User Says Thank You to schettj For This Useful Post:
Nokia is pretty much dead! I seriously doubt we will see any more updates from them. They will concentrate on meego. They are banking on meego which to me is pointless. Why re-event the wheel when you have Android and already they are tons of apps and more support. N900 still have one of the BEST hardware as of today but Nokia really screwed it up in terms of apps and support. They have got our money and are smiling and probably calling us suckers.... I really hope they get meego out by October if not they are DEAD. about 75-80% of the current n900 people will switch to Android before the year is over and that i my prediction. N900 will be history by Feb/March of next year, mark my words.

Thats what worries me, if buy the end of the year meego is not out, and people are getting more and more frustrated the temptation to move over to Android will be more so.

If that happens even when Meego is released, the amount of people on here probably still developing for the N900 may drop drastically, then what are the chances for a meego port?

Decisions Decisions.

I havent been that impressed with my phone now, ive stayed away from installing any 'in development' programs too, yet after a single successful update my phone no longer charges fully using its adapter.. 30 seconds or less it just stops, and im still only half charged. Im hoping that the next update will resolve this, if it doesnt then it would seem that along with many other unrelated issues people are having, the phone hasnt been fully tested before its release to prevent such problems occurring.

I dont think I would buy another nokia again if they dont keep giving out n900 updates/fixes, the n900 is fine for the basics (email, txts, although average audio quality in calling).. at the moment, as long as it keeps charging up to half way at the very least for me, ill stick with it, lol

The n900 should still be regarded as a fairly new phone- if there are no more updates or fixes, then thats pretty poor from such a large company. I guess thats the problem of buying a nokia, with the phone market/technology developing so fast. That would be nokias main excuse anyway

I will just say at the moment to wait, nokia may well keep supporting the n900 with updates. If they dont, who would want to update to meego, on another device or not, if the level of support is just as low as it supposedly is now-would you want to take the chance by spending even more?

Last edited by extent; 2010-07-14 at 13:31.

I dont think the future of the n900 is as grim as some of the previous posters.

As for furture Maemo updates from nokia, I wouldnt expect more than 1 more if even that. I think they will begin putting all their effort into Meego. And dont forget that the developers of Meego are using the n900 as their development hardware platform. I think that means we can pretty safely assume a working version of Meego that has full or nearly full hardware support on the n900. The only issue i see is going to be apps. They are going to have to convence developers to either change to the meego platform and release their software, recompile qt apps from another platform, or completely port apps previously developed for another platform. And that the major flaw I see. There is just no visible benefit to leaving thriving markets (android, ios) and coming to meegos fledgling market place.

Now the underdog in all of this i think is NitDroid. They recently got froyo ported to the n900. They have partial hardware support. And some people have been able to access the android market place and download apps. If they can continue to improve the quality of the build and increase hardware support fully i think this could be a real contender for the n900 main OS.

If i had to put money on one of the above scenarios i think i'd have to go with NitDroid. But I am a sucker for the underdog.