I am trying to find out all I can about the N800 before purchasing one. I need to determine if it will meet my needs, or if I should hold out a little longer and see what else is available.

My needs are for a device to surf with while at home (with WiFi) and for GPS and email while on the road. I am in Canada, so cell data plans are just too expensive to allow for connectivity all the time. I do not have a great deal of experience with Linux, but I am an experienced computer user and would like to use the device to learn. Maybe even develop applications for it.

I have spent a great deal of time reading this forum and others for information.

Questions:

1) Video - With the proper software and video format, what kind of quality can I expect for perfect playback? frame rate? resolution? say from a ripped DVD...

2) Maemo.org - if an application is listed as for IT OS 2006, can it be used on the N800?

3) Screen - I have not actually seen an N800 in person (no one carries them in Canada), but the screen looks excellent in online videos. How is it for sunlight readability?

4) GPS - I am eagerly waiting for the North American version of the Nav Kit to be released, most likely this will be the determining factor for me. Is there any way to see the coverage, before purchasing it? Coverage of Canada varies a great deal from vendor to vendor.

Side Note: For anyone else in Canada that is interested in the N800, Nokia told me that the warranty will only be honored if it is purchased from a Canadian vendor. The best price that I can find is from Nokia Canada http://store.nokia.ca/product.php?pr...cat=258&page=1 for $470CDN

Thanks!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Geer, many of your questions have been answered in various spots in the forum. I realize that's not the answer you're looking for, but you'll find that the Search feature here will be your best tool.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
About the navkit: It uses TeleAtlas maps, and presumably you could find the coverage by looking at TeleAtlas' web page.