Active Topics

I'm having an issue with my RSS Feed Reader and was wondering if anyone else was experiencing what i am, and if anyone had a fix.

I tried loading the Reader after start-up but all that happens is the loading message appears and then disappears without the reader opening. The applet doesn't update either. I've also tried opening the reader from the applet with the same results.

I was using the reader with no problems yesterday, and have not installed or un-installed anything since then.

version: 3.2007.10-7

appreciate any comments.

edit: can i run the feeder from the xterm so as i can post the errors if any?

Last edited by dub; 2007-04-16 at 22:03.

Hi dub,

I am having the exact same problem. Today the RSS Feed Reader does just what you just described. Worked yesterday.

In fact, this is just the latest acting up from this unstable app - I have experienced losing all feeds 4 or 5 times since I got the N800.

Any ideas anyone?

-Morten

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Yeah, try using the latest version of Claws-mail... Or, better yet, try a web-based app like Gregarius.

I'm being sarcastic, of course, but, unfortunately, the Nokia RSS app will probably never stack up to third party options.

-T.

Does anyone know how i can delete the rss feeder cache. Maybe its corrupt and that is what is causing it to crash.

Thanks.

Hi Morten,

I ended up re-flashing my IT. When i restored from my backup the same problem occured with the rrs reader. So i just started fresh (well i restored my contacts). But i came across this thread and it may help you.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=3452

regards,

dub

Guys,

I've just been dealing with issues similar to those described above with my rss reader as well, and concluded that the problem was a broken feed. My fix was to remove my feeds one at a time until I found the malfunctioning one. When I removed the Ring Nokia feed from the reader, everything worked again. I don't know how or why, but it is 'right' again.

Now this is strange. Just this morning I turned my unit on and the RSS Reader says..(Last updated never), (no posts).

Any suggetions?

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
You may not have any feeds configured - the RSS Reader may have deleted it's own feeds. It has a nasty habit of doing this.

Originally Posted by dub View Post
Hi Morten,

I ended up re-flashing my IT. When i restored from my backup the same problem occured with the rrs reader. So i just started fresh (well i restored my contacts). But i came across this thread and it may help you.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=3452

regards,

dub
Hi dub,

thanks for sharing that information. A couple of days ago, I snooped around a bit using XTerm and came across /etc/osso-cud-scripts/rss-reader-cud.sh .... a script that actually resets the RSS reader to it's out-of-the-box state. This takes care of the problem with the app failing to execute. But you loose all user defined feeds, of course.

As for the problem with the RSS reader loosing its feeds, I have now made a habit of once in a while copying the feed list from the /home/user/.osso_rss_feed_reader/ directory to my internal memory card using

cp /home/user/.osso_rss_feed_reader/feedlist.opml /media/mmc2

(for those who - like me - are somewhat baffled by the file system)

Hope this is also helpful.

-Morten

Last edited by SpaceRiot; 2007-04-24 at 20:42.

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Houston, Texas
Has anyone else noticed these other unusual behaviors in the Nokia-supplied RSS Feed Reader?:

1. When selecting a feed after refreshing--about 1-out-of-20 times RSS will close without any error message-necessitating a restart. (BIGGEST PROBLEM for me). It happens on random feeds.

2. Occassionally when selecting the refresh feeds icon at the bottom it will automatically refresh all feeds instead of giving the popup prompt to "refresh selected feed or all feeds."

I suspect that these problems are related to improper debouncing of stylus taps (i.e. flags are not cleared to indicate that a single tap has been recognized and is being acted upon already) since the RSS application is multi-threaded.

Another annoying "feature" is that I cannot use RSS while tethered to my Nokia 9300 since it uses multiple simultaneous IP "pipes" to refresh feeds. It causes the phone to reset. I have no problem when using the Web application with the phone.