Active Topics

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
I don't know if this belongs under Brainstorm or not, but I really think this is needed. Here it goes.

I believe that thread starters should be able to moderate their own thread. I don't mean moving and merging their own threads, I'm just talking about moderating replies. Deleting inappropriate comments mainly.

Too many times I see people go off on tangents. If a thread starter could moderate their own thread, threads could stay on topic much easier.

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
But then what is to stop someone from just deleting anything they don't agree with? Usually threads will self-correct, but occasionally they will get seriously derailed and a mod will move part/all to off topic.

I see what you're getting at, but I think it just has far too much potential for abuse.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
It'll never work. Actually, I'm sure it would only increase the amount of drama and *****ing seen here.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
This will only work if implemented in conjunction with PvP TMO!

Seriously though, i don't like the idea. OP is not always the best person to moderate. This may even start another armed race of thread control competition or some such...

Not enough benefit for the potential chaos that it may generate.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2010-07-21 at 19:24.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
I like the idea, but only to a limited extent. Maybe a way for a "thread moderator" to mark a comment "off topic", then allow people to choose how/if they want to view off-topic replies. You could have a "never show", "always show" and "show placeholder" that has a clickable to show the OT comment when clicked?

That prevents OPs from just deleting content they dislike on their thread, but allows them to "filter" things for people who don't want to read all the OT garbage.

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
That's not a good idea, its a forum and a place where people share their thoughts and not always on topic which is OK. If you dont like they way TMO operates try Apple's official forum where they remove pretty much everything they want/ dont like

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

The Following User Says Thank You to HellFlyer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
I've mentioned it before in this forum, but I really like the way engadget's comment section works. Posters can vote on the usefulness of a comment and if it receives enough negative votes it will disappear from the active view with the text "This post has been downranked into oblivion" or something like that. It does a really good job of filtering out most of the bs IMO.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
I'd like to see a thumbs up/thumbs down approach; any comments that are whiney/b1tchy/offtopic can be hidden/deleted once they reach a certain threshold.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jd4200 For This Useful Post:
I feel the only moderation should be done by the moderators, it's why we have a "Report This" link on each reply.
Freedom of speak is one of the most important things to have in a free society, people should be alowed to express themselves, if not they might leave and then the community will loose.

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
Originally Posted by JonWW View Post
I feel the only moderation should be done by the moderators, it's why we have a "Report This" link on each reply.
Freedom of speak is one of the most important things to have in a free society, people should be alowed to express themselves, if not they might leave and then the community will loose.
I'm not dead set on my idea. I just think an OP should have some control over the direction his post takes. Actually maybe not even that far. Like these other people I also like how engadget's comments work with the ranking and autohiding.

Keep in mind that everyone still has the freedom to speak and start new threads. Its just when one person opens a thread that person can moderate what is said.

Tags
imabigkidnow, iwantthepower