Hello everybody.
I'm getting sick about the weird behavior of my N900.
Many programs are not running.
Phone hang while receiving SMS showing the option to close the message windows since it is not responsive.
Sygic software will start and hang and close by itself.
Many packages updates say "broken file would you continue?"
Phone calls I missed not showing in the phone call list.
And so on.

Now.. I wonder if there is a procedure to completely format my Device bringing to the out of the box state with only the operative system installed so that I can start again from scratch.

The most important thing I am afraid of is to lose the SMS conversations.

I have 1948 sms to save. I installed the program glogarchive but it will not run!

Any idea on how to convert SMS into a PDF file?
If I use the backup function will this save all the SMS conversations?

Then which is the best way to format the device completely delete all files and programs in the N900 I've installed?

Thank You for your help.

I am not sure about the backup details but the best way to completely format would be to re-flash the firmware, see here for details:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Actually your SMS is in the database el*.db under /home/user/.rtcom-eventlogger/

I'm not sure if copying it back could restore all your SMS. I haven't tried.

However, you could export it in HTML.

Code:
sqlite3 -html /home/user/.rtcom-eventlogger/el.db "SELECT start_time,service_id,event_type_id,free_text, remote_uid FROM Events ORDER BY start_time DESC;” > output.html
In my case I need to replace el.db with el-v1.db as my el.db is empty, i.e.

Code:
sqlite3 -html /home/user/.rtcom-eventlogger/el-v1.db "SELECT start_time,service_id,event_type_id,free_text, remote_uid FROM Events ORDER BY start_time DESC;" > output.html
My apology this isn't much help. I hope someone else could give you a better solution.

EDIT: Oops I just found out that the <TABLE></TABLE> was missing from the output html such that you might have problem opening it with a normal browser. You can add them back though.

Last edited by 9000; 2010-07-30 at 09:20.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:
Thank You 9000 but since I'm a not really into programming what should i do with this codes?

Go to terminal and type the string as you stated?
Thank You for your patience.

I forgot.. where the file in case will be stored then?
I tried to go to terminal and write the first code you wrote but nothing happen.

Last edited by cixi; 2010-07-30 at 21:43.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by cixi View Post
Thank You 9000 but since I'm a not really into programming what should i do with this codes?

Go to terminal and type the string as you stated?
Thank You for your patience.

I forgot.. where the file in case will be stored then?
I tried to go to terminal and write the first code you wrote but nothing happen.
I'll show you the step by step.

First go to xterminal, try opening the browser in N900 and copy & paste the following lines from your browser to xterminal so as to saving your time to type:

Code:
echo "<TABLE>" > /home/user/MyDocs/output.html

sqlite3 -html /home/user/.rtcom-eventlogger/el-v1.db "SELECT start_time,service_id,event_type_id,free_text, remote_uid FROM Events ORDER BY start_time DESC;" >> /home/user/MyDocs/output.html

echo "</TABLE>" >> /home/user/MyDocs/output.html
Then you connect your N900 to PC as mass storage. The file output.html can be found under N900 drive.

Hope this help.

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Lebanon- Beirut
you can make a backup of the phone and select only conversations. then restore the backup after flashing. should work.

Originally Posted by ahmadamaj View Post
you can make a backup of the phone and select only conversations. then restore the backup after flashing. should work.

I use Backup utiliy and it show:
Communication and Calendar
Bookmark
Settings
Application List

No Conversation in here.
Where I can find it please?
Thank You

hey there
i know its not the place but really need help and it is easy but can't find how to do it on the website....
i deleted a file from /home/opt/user/bin the file name is something about sketch launch, i just need somewhere to download the file from or if someone can send it via e-mail (irameltzer@hotmail.com) so i can put it back there and sketch will work again..
sorry and thanks

Posts: 458 | Thanked: 274 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by cixi View Post
I use Backup utiliy and it show:
Communication and Calendar
Bookmark
Settings
Application List

No Conversation in here.
Where I can find it please?
Thank You
There is no ability to back up only the Conversations, you have to select Communication and Calendar. I would recommender just backing up everything (even Application list, you can select what to restore afterwards) and the doing a reflash (I would recommender not to flash the eMMC if you dont want to lose the files in your MyDocs). After that just restore your backup-file and you should have a fully working N900 again.

yeah do a full backup.. it backs up conversations too.
maybe leave out the applications list you can always download them back manually.

Tags
ebay.com