For those that know Engadget, it's a great technology website which has a native application on WebOS (and Android, Iphone, BlackBerry).

I am wondering if it would be feasible to port the WebOS Engadget application to the N900, since the architecture should have many similarities. This is more of an appeal to Engadget, but anyone's thoughts are welcome.

http://www.engadget.com/downloads/webos

Posts: 487 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ London, UK
"Porting" requires access to the source code. You have that then maybe someone around here could be interested in taking up the challenge.

Applications I've made:
- Vuvuzela
- LTM: London Tube Map

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
What value does the app offer over simply visiting engadget.com on the browser? Not quite a port, but you could run it either under Garnet VM or Nitdroid.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ New York, NY
I'd like this app as well. The app might be able to pull (full) stories & pictures and save them for some amount of time for use offline. I'm not sure how the actual app works, but it seem like a neat idea.

Engadget?

there is an engadget applicaiton on n900 called....

microb

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
In a word - no. It would be a lot easier to just write one from scratch than try to port it from WebOS, especially one with an interface.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by mail_e36 View Post
For those that know Engadget, it's a great technology website which has a native application on WebOS (and Android, Iphone, BlackBerry).

I am wondering if it would be feasible to port the WebOS Engadget application to the N900, since the architecture should have many similarities. This is more of an appeal to Engadget, but anyone's thoughts are welcome.
It's true the main engadget site can get heavy and not too data-traffic friendly, but I would rather suggest following it via RSS - you get the stories and the images, use less bandwidth and also useable offline.

Thanks for everyone's input, I guess an RSS feed it is. I still hope Engadget does make a client for the N900.

One can always hope but I wouldn't count on it ever happening. There's not enough userbase to justify it.

Though in the future the whole idea of an app is kinda pointless versus a well-designed HTML5 website for all smartphones.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Why do you want such an evil blogosphere anyway,
http://engadgetsucks.wordpress.com/

The Following User Says Thank You to somedude For This Useful Post: