Notices

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Freiburg, Germany
{UPDATE]Fixed MovieSchedule needs 4 more thumbs-up to be released in Extras tomorrow. I would be glad if some of you test it. Quite a lot of people still mail me because MovieSchedule on Extras repository is the broken version and they cannot use it. Thank you.[/UPDATE]

[UPDATE]I uploaded new version 0.3.0 to extras-devel repository which should fix the problem. The new version also supports GUI (auto) rotation.[/UPDATE]

A message to all MovieSchedule users: since this morning MovieSchedule is not able to load any movie or cinema information any more. I do not yet know the exact reason for this but assume that Google changed its xhtml pages (in general www.google.com/m/movies is still available so I have to debug why MovieSchedule fails).

I try to update it as soon as possible but at least a new release on Extras repository needs some time. Sorry for the annoyance.

Regards, gilead

Last edited by gilead; 2010-09-26 at 20:54. Reason: Testers needed

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gilead For This Useful Post:
For those who are interested in some technical details: Google added some cookie magic which enforces the user to first set the location in one web formular before the search results are shown. In the past a simple parametrized URL was enough to get the movie info. This change is not easy to implement so I am afraid it will need a longer time to fix it.

Why does Google not provide its movie info with a real API?

gilead

Probably because they want you to use their website so they can display advertisment to you. Thanks for the update!

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

No, Google seems not to be that worse. There are no advertisements (yet) on any of the movie pages.

I found a way to set the location without using the Cookies. They changed a lot of the links and I have to update most of my parsing code. But on the other hand it seems they have fixed some issues so that might be the reason why they changed the xhtml so much. I will need some days before everything is working again but at least I already see some movie information again...

gilead

Thanks for letting us know, take your time, and keep up the good work!

Thanks for the update!

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by gilead View Post
For those who are interested in some technical details: Google added some cookie magic which enforces the user to first set the location in one web formular before the search results are shown. In the past a simple parametrized URL was enough to get the movie info. This change is not easy to implement so I am afraid it will need a longer time to fix it.

Why does Google not provide its movie info with a real API?

gilead
Did you ask Google this question or file it as a "bug report" or "feature request"?

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Did you ask Google this question or file it as a "bug report" or "feature request"?
If you search the internet you see that quite a lot of people already did this but Google has not provided an API until today.

gilead

The Following User Says Thank You to gilead For This Useful Post:
I uploaded a fixed version to extras-devel repository. This new version fixes (hopefully) the problem with Google's changed movie pages and is a little bit more stable to future changes.

As I didn't wan't to maintain several branches I fixed it on the trunk version. Due to that I also released the one improvement I had already implemented: The GUI supports auto-rotation now and has a new options-dialog to select landscape, portrait or auto-rotation mode.

If the fix works fine I would like to bring this version to Extras as fast as possible and I will continue with more improvements.

Regards, gilead

The Following User Says Thank You to gilead For This Useful Post:
Hi, and first of all thanks for one of my very favourite apps!
The updated version in extra-testing works perfectly for Theaters, but it doesn't seem able to find Movies. Somehow movies in the Movies view only appear once you've selected a theatre, but then you only get the movies that were screened in that theatre.
It's very strange. I have a feeling that it worked the first time I tried it after the update, but now it doesn't, despite having uninstalled it and installed it again.

One more bug: when I start it up, in case the N900 is not yet online, it goes online (as it should, as I use "any connection") but then prompt me with a disconnect/change connection screen.

Thanks again for all your work!