Active Topics

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Florida
Hi!

I am not a developer, but would like to dabble. I just would like to know where would be a good start to learn specifically to develop for maemo5 with the n900 in mind?

The reason is I just want to make a non-smoker cigarette app. When all the smokers go for a break, I want to have a cigarette too, for an excuse to take a break. Just a simple app, press the button and the cigarette goes down.

I am Adobe Certified Associate for CS3 and CS4, basic-mid flash skills, and will hopefully pass my A+ this month. So I feel that I have a decent base to work on.

Thanks for any advice!

PS. The N900 rocks only because of developers like you!

Last edited by gonediscin; 2010-09-19 at 18:46.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
If you plan to code in C++, start by downloading the Nokia QT SDK here and reading through the wiki here.
If you want to go the Python route, go here.
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

The Following User Says Thank You to uvatbc For This Useful Post:
I would recommend the Python route. You'll get more done in less time and PyQT is great. You will get compatibility with Symbian^3, Meego, MS Windows and Desktop Linuxes without recompiling.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
+1 on zimon's advice. Except maybe for graphics or CPU-intensive apps, there is no reason nowadays to suffer through C++ just to get stuff done.

(Notice I didn't say "simple stuff": Python + Qt allows for some pretty powerful apps)

The Following User Says Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
As a webbie, you might also be interested in QtWRT. It is still in the experimental stage (it is in the dev repositories), but it will let you write in HTML/CSS/Javascript and easily package it into an installable app. Not as powerful as C, C++, or Python, but a much faster route to the frisson of seeing your app up and running on your device.

Otherwise, I would recommend the Python - Qt route.

The Following User Says Thank You to rmerren For This Useful Post:
Wow it would be super cool if I could use HTML/CSS/JS as a programming language. I definately will be looking into QtWRT!

Originally Posted by uvatbc View Post
If you plan to code in C++, start by downloading the Nokia QT SDK here and reading through the wiki here.
If you want to go the Python route, go here.
Thank you for these leads! I think I will look into the python route because of zimon's comment. Also will look into qtwrt. I thought that C++ wasn't all that hard when I had to read about it and do basic activities with visual studio in a chapter out of my book at school.

Thanks!

Last edited by gonediscin; 2010-09-19 at 18:30.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
I have Easy Debian installed on my n900.

I removed openoffice from and installed Qtdesigner instead and it works with the current version of the qt bindings too.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Thank you once again uvatbc! I have been reading these posts you gave links to, and this is exactly what I have been looking for. THANK YOU!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to gonediscin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by gonediscin View Post
Thank you once again uvatbc! I have been reading these posts you gave links to, and this is exactly what I have been looking for. THANK YOU!!!!
Glad to help. I expect 50 new apps from you by the end of the month!
Just kidding. No I'm not. Yes I am. You'll never know which!
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.