Looong article over Reuters.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 333 | Thanked: 153 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ blah blah
Yeah, welcome, and give us updates just the way the microsoft does...

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
America is the toughest nut for Nokia to crack. When Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo, Elop's predecessor, took the helm in 2006, he made one big promise -- he would focus fully on fixing Nokia's problems in the United States, spending a week each month on it. But Nokia has continued to lose market share in the U.S.; the company now has well under 10 percent of the market, lagging behind rivals such as Apple, Samsung and LG.
Wow. Seriously?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Wow. Seriously?
Yes, talked about it alot all the way till he got sacked. It got a bit embrassing really thinking it was the main thing for him with services.

I really don't know how well will Elop do, but i can already tell that he can't do any worst than OPK in NA.

Last edited by tissot; 2010-09-22 at 17:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Right, then, Mr Elop, grab a pick-axe and get moving. We haven't got all day. Nokia's already virtually non-existent enough as it is without you loitering here listening to me. Go on! Piss off, already.

Wow. Seriously?
Wow... cripes. I wonder if what he meant "spending a week each month on it" to mean that he would spend a week of vacation each month here in the US? I mean it. OPK has literally (very, very literally) made Nokia FAR less relevant here.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
He did, talked about it alot all the way till he got sacked. It got a bit embrassing really thinking it was the main thing for him with services.
Well it's a big surprise for me... that goes 180' against what some of the fans here have been saying; that Nokia has been intentionally ignoring the US market, bla bla.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Well it's a big surprise for me... that goes 180' against what some of the fans here have been saying; that Nokia has been intentionally ignoring the US market, bla bla.
http://translate.google.fi/translate...alloitus-alkaa

I can understand the problems Kallasvuo have had as Symbian doesn't have the history there and it's very much weighted for Europe and Asia, so why would anybody over there get phone with Symbian when you got Iphone and Android where your services are 80% about North America. Not to talk about the bad press Symbian have been getting globally.
Maybe it's a advantage that people over NA haven't tried Symbian at least before S^4 comes out.

MeeGo is being quoted as THE phone OS from Nokia to take North America (a bit too much really.... i wouldn't mind to own MeeGo phone over here in Europe either....). While i wouldn't even dream about MeeGo taking over Iphone or Android in NA hopefully they will at least get the attention and are picked by large carriers.
The non existant manufacturer over smartphones, Samsung pretty much did everything in 3 months with Galaxy S over NA that Nokia have been trying to do for 4 years now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Samsung pretty much did everything in 3 months with Galaxy S over NA that Nokia have been trying to do for 4 years now.
THAT is the single most PERFECT statement anybody has ever said about this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
For people from Finland, there's a 7 page Elop interview in todays Kauppalehti Optio. Mostly talks about things pre-Nokia, but it also includes some general stuff about what he's going to do as CEO of Nokia. Worth reading, if you're at all interested about Nokia.