In business world, I think it is quite common that we have kept contacts that we do not know well; we may remember only their last or first names; or even only the Organisation they work at.

With MS OUTLOOK, it supports contact search by last name, first name and by Company Name.

NOKIA mobile phones must be used by business people in number of millions globally. However, NOKIA's address book supports search only by last or first names.

I hope someone can create an application to organize contacts which can support more search criteria.

Thanks in advance.

TC

I am pretty sure the N900 searches by both first name and last name. E.g if you have a John Smith in your address book if you search "Jo" the name will show up in the results and likewise if you seach "Sm" it will also show up.

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ T.M.O
I'm using this package to add the ability to search from more fields in the address book.

Eg. Searches made by company names, nicknames, numbers, etc work

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/M...ntacts-search/
http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...-search/0.4-2/

Some people have reported it to crash their phone or contact's application, but has worked flawlessly for me.

So I recommend that you take a backup of your phone before trying to install it.

Last edited by un-named_user; 2010-09-23 at 08:34. Reason: typo

Etuoyo,

You misunderstood me. How about "John Smith" is working for ABC Company and you could not remember him by his name and you just remember he is working for ABC;

Or if you can only remember his first name John and you have a dozen contacts named as John; and this John Smith you want to contact is from ABC Company;

Or you want to make a reservation at ABC Restaurant but you do not know or input name of a particular person in this contact file. In present NOKIA address book, you would not be able to find ABC Restaurant.

TC

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Cologne
Try this one:

maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/scout/

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Outlook (which I had synchronised to my old Pocket PC PDA) has a nice feature where you can set individual contact cards to "File As" one of (among other choices):
  • person's name
  • company name
  • company name (person's name)
  • person's name (company name)
This allows you to have all your friends contacts listed alphabetically by person's name, but business contacts listing alphabetically by company name. You can sort of do that on Maemo by only filling in a company name field for a contact, but that means that you cannot see the person's name, unless you put it in the Notes field or something.

Maybe I should make this a feature request for MeeGo.

Last edited by pelago; 2010-09-23 at 09:58.

Originally Posted by willi_iam View Post
Try this one:

maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/scout/
I have already installed SCOUT. Thanks to the creator of SCOUT, this application does provide a solution to my question but just partially. SCOUT although is capable of searching contacts by Company Name, it supports view only. If one wants to find and edit, one still has to go to NOKIA Address Book.

TC

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki Finland
Nokia never made a working device wide search for N900. Functionality that was available in, for example, in N95 already.

And they will not. To Nokia, N900 and Maemo 5 and the that user base is irrelevant.

Scout is pretty good, but is not the same thing.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Timothy CHAN View Post
I have already installed SCOUT. Thanks to the creator of SCOUT, this application does provide a solution to my question but just partially. SCOUT although is capable of searching contacts by Company Name, it supports view only. If one wants to find and edit, one still has to go to NOKIA Address Book.

TC
Then of course you have contacted to devel of scout and made kind request for that kind of function.

Hello friends,

While browsing Application Manager on my N900 during weekend, I found an app called "Extend Contacts Search Feature". Its description said it is a plugin that extends the search criteria in the Contact List. I installed it and tried it out; now I could find contacts by searching Company Name.

This app. is maintained by Xavier Claessens, thank you so much.

Friends, you can find this app. under Utilities.

TC

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timothy CHAN For This Useful Post: