Posts: 470 | Thanked: 173 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Melb
Pretty much the title, i've got unlimited texts, and nothing beats typing on a full qwerty keyboard. OVI suite doesn't support pretty much the only feature i'd even care about.

honestly, how useless is ovi suite?

because it's so terribly difficult to copy + paste my photos/music and such.

even contacts don't really seem to be working for me, what's the point of this software!?!

anyway, i want to know how hard / feasability of getting something that allows me to text from my comp, it doesn't even need to go through my contacts, i have no problem re-typing their mobile numbers!

thanks!

Could setup vnc and connect to the n900 and type on it?

Posts: 800 | Thanked: 957 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ India
Why not try the old Nokia PC suite. Thats what I use and it works pretty good. Although I haven't tried to send sms using it.

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ vancouver washington usa
wait for meego? I bet it can

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Copy music and photos with ovi suite? Hmmm. I have always used computers own filemanager for jobs like that. N900 is recgonized as usb-memory and this means that for example for photos it should be pretty easy to sync them with REAL photo catalogue software like picasa. And music with your favorite music player which has sync options e.g. media monkey(windows).

But the real problem here about messaging. I would also like to send messages through my N900. VNC is IMO pretty heavy duty cannon for job like that. IIRC itīs possible to send sms from cli on n900. That would mean that it should not be too hard to make app on win/linux desktop machine that uses n900 ssh server.

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Could setup vnc and connect to the n900 and type on it?
Yeah. Or use SSH. Or something else. VNC will be the easiest thing i think. Its sometime a bit laggy (just enough to annoy me, but still usable without problems) via WLan, dont know if the USB networking may deliver better results.
By "Text" you mean Text Messages? You could also just use the N900 in some kind of Modem-Mode, i think it will work too. DOnt know if there are any good frontends.
Copy music and photos with ovi suite?
I use WLan/Samba or USB for this tasks. Or the MicroSD card in a card reader (My car stereo has a SD Reader, so i can use the same card for music in my Car an my N900). Never used Ovi Suite, didnt even really know it could be used for such things.

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by optimaxxx View Post
Pretty much the title, i've got unlimited texts, and nothing beats typing on a full qwerty keyboard. OVI suite doesn't support pretty much the only feature i'd even care about.

honestly, how useless is ovi suite?

because it's so terribly difficult to copy + paste my photos/music and such.

even contacts don't really seem to be working for me, what's the point of this software!?!

anyway, i want to know how hard / feasability of getting something that allows me to text from my comp, it doesn't even need to go through my contacts, i have no problem re-typing their mobile numbers!

thanks!
If your computer runs Ubuntu, you can try gsmsendsm to send text messeages through a bluetooth connection.
See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1199026

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
Maybe synergy 2 i use it for programming and playing the emulators i use the BT HID mousecursor to get mouse visible to. So ye i basically using my computers mouse and keyboard to control N900.

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 173 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Melb
so vnc works alright, but can i get it running over usb?

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by optimaxxx View Post
so vnc works alright, but can i get it running over usb?
http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_USB_networking