Active Topics

This may sound weird but is there a way to trick the n900 to think it is on wifi? My wife has and iphone 3gs and I install an app called My3g and it tricks the iphone to think it is on wifi. Speed test on it with it enable increases the speed of the internet by 3-5 Mbps. So there away to do the same with our n900?

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ San Diego, CA
Could be possible, but I don't think you're going to see and speed increases by doing so on the N900.

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 156 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Holland
How can a trick on a phone speed up what a celullar network provides?
It seems impossible to me

Originally Posted by Berserk View Post
How can a trick on a phone speed up what a celullar network provides?
It seems impossible to me
i have no idea.. but there was definately an increase in speed, did various speed testing.. Ie: speettest app, downloading.. browsing.. etc.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Wouldn't surprise me if the iPhones have a built-in "feature" to make the phone cap its connection speed while on 3G. Maybe that's why it works. As far as I know, the N900 implements no such stumbling blocks, so tricking your N900 into thinking it's on WiFi will do nothing, as it should already be going as fast as the network permits.

*Shrug* There may be some stuff I don't know about involved.

- Just looked it up; makes more sense now -

http://www.intelliborn.com/my3g.html

It's more of a iPhone 4 targeted app. Because of the utterly *****ic Apple move of keeping FaceTime only working on WiFi. This lets you run Wi-Fi only apps on 3G. I don't know what limitations the 3GS ships with that make this necessary, but it wouldn't surprise me if quite a few App Store apps refuse to work over 3G.

Basically, Hmoobwarrior, you don't need something like this on the N900. The N900 has none of the limitations that Apple ships their iPhones with, so the N900 can already do everything it can do on WiFi on 3G - so long as the 3G coverage and speeds in your area is actually good enough to handle it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
some tips for increasesing your browsing speed

-clear out your cache if you have had your n900 for a while
-install swappolube

enjoy

The applications like My3g and many others which are used to trick the iPhone to use 3G by pretending it is running on WiFi to allow applications Apple and ATT do not won't to be using 3G. All applications which perform VoIP, SIP, Skype are approved by Apple Store when they enforce the usage of 3G only, Otherwise the application won't run if there is no WiFi connection. Therefore, that feature is useless for the Nokia N900 since it does not have those stupid restrictions.

Enjoy !

The Following User Says Thank You to ypslinux For This Useful Post:
Basically, Hmoobwarrior, you don't need something like this on the N900. The N900 has none of the limitations that Apple ships their iPhones with, so the N900 can already do everything it can do on WiFi on 3G - so long as the 3G coverage and speeds in your area is actually good enough to handle it.

Hi there, in fact many apps for my N900 are crippled if you have to use a proxy server with your 3g connection, Zoutube and Groove will not work amongst many others. it would be good to have something to get the apps to work both the same on wifi and 3g with proxy

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Mart5.1: Please use quote tags. It's so much more intuitive to read your post.

If the apps don't work well, they don't work well - or if they don't work over 3G, they don't work over 3G - but I have yet to see a single app on the N900 that is INTENTIONALLY made to work only over WiFi, or only over 3G. That is the issue. If zoutube and groove break over 3G, with a proxy server connection, that is either because of some problem in your 3G network provider's configuration, between the server and 3G, or some complicated combination there-of.

Plus, there's a difference between crippled (which I use to mean intentionally disabled) over any 3G in general, vs. having a bug that makes a complicated route of 3G -> proxy server -> elsewhere not work. Major difference. (Seriously, how many iPhone apps even let you configure them to use a proxy server?)

You're right, that does mean that the N900 can't do EVERYTHING it can do over WiFi over 3G. But it's a bug, largely linked, I suspect, to the 3G network and how it interacts with the N900 and proxy server. It is not an intentional block built into the device or the app. It's not an inability of the N900. It's at worst a screw-up in the app, but most likely a problem somewhere along the 3G network.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Hi there,
"but most likely a problem somewhere along the 3G network. "

Not the case I'm afraid, It is the apps that were not well written. The documentation is available on the wiki as how to detect if a proxy is in use and subsequently how to connect through said proxy.
http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/...Proxy_Settings
We have to accept sometimes that it is not always the networks fault and that it just maybe a programing oversight or deliberate omission of a feature. Maybe if the coder does not use proxies he or she may see no need to build in that feature.
Thanks for your reply

The Following User Says Thank You to Mart5.1 For This Useful Post: