Active Topics

Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
Up until tonight I was using Nokia Messaging for 3 accounts (Gmail, Hotmail and my work one through my own site), but it's given me enough headaches over the months so I'm just using Modest now i.e. add new account and just select gmail, hotmail and other instead of nokia messaging.

Everything has synced fine, the email widget works for me, but, it has synced everything. My Gmail has over 13,000 emails, about as many sent as well, my hotmail only has hundreds because it's on POP, and my work one has thousands as well.

ideally I don't want every folder synced because a) it's too many emails and b) I have no need for it on my phone, i just want to receive new ones and send replies. Nokia Messaging only received the inbox on IMAP, is there a way to do the same thing with modest?

Posted this in another section of the forum too as not sure where it belongs, modest is an application after all.

Anyway, Up until tonight I was using Nokia Messaging for 3 accounts (Gmail, Hotmail and my work one through my own site), but it's given me enough headaches over the months so I'm just using Modest now i.e. add new account and just select gmail, hotmail and other instead of nokia messaging.

Everything has synced fine, the email widget works for me, but, it has synced everything. My Gmail has over 16,000 emails in one folder, about as many sent as well, my hotmail only has hundreds because it's on POP, and my work one has thousands as well. They're all organised into respective folders, but still...

ideally I don't want every folder synced because a) it's too many emails and b) I have no need for it on my phone, i just want to receive new ones and send replies. Nokia Messaging only received the inbox on IMAP, is there a way to do the same thing with modest?

I have set Gmail up for POP in the Gmail website settings but Modest won't let me do it, so i can't do that. My only other option is to backup all my emails from the server and wipe them. I'd rather not do this, but i have IMAP thunderbird and POP outlook, just in case IMAP loses everything one day. So if i do back them up and delete them, i have them in Outlook if i need to go through the archives, and the N900 will be happy, but i won't be able to check all my emails from anywhere besides this very laptop.

ETA: the 'archive' option in each inbox, if i put stuff in there, is that N900 only or will it happen on the server and other IMAP clients? I know it's IMAP and that means universal changes, but the reason i'm asking is because 'archive' isn't a mailbox-specific folder on the server or other clients, only the N900.

Or am i worrying over nothing? As i said, they're all organised into folders so my inbox doesn't have thousands of emails (i try to keep it under 100 actually), will this mean it isn't a problem for the phone, or will the sheer amount of emails (probably around 30,000 in total) cause issues?

Sorry for the long post and questions, not used modest before, used to Nokia Messaging and that didn't download everything.

Last edited by richwhite; 2010-10-05 at 00:17.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
richwhite, I've merged your threads. Please do not open multiple threads for the same topic.

Posts: 166 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Halifax, UK
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
richwhite, I've merged your threads. Please do not open multiple threads for the same topic.
yea rich, what you playing at :-p

as far as i know it just sync's every email you have and there's no stopping it, even the 'read' ones
but once you've spent 5 hours filtering the ones you want it shouldn't do it again
easier said than done tho when there's so many

Originally Posted by matthew maude View Post
yea rich, what you playing at :-p

as far as i know it just sync's every email you have and there's no stopping it, even the 'read' ones
but once you've spent 5 hours filtering the ones you want it shouldn't do it again
easier said than done tho when there's so many

What do you mean filtering the ones i want?

just deleting them,
i don't think there's any quick way of speeding it up

The speed isn't really a concern, it's very speedy and a more pleasurable experience than Nokia Messaging. It's really just that i don't want every email on my device, and if i delete them they get wiped from the server

do they?
before i started with nokia messaging it never used to delete them for me when i deleted them on the device

Originally Posted by matthew maude View Post
do they?
before i started with nokia messaging it never used to delete them for me when i deleted them on the device

POP or IMAP? IMAP talks to the server, so if they're deleted from one they go to the other, ditto for 'read' 'unread' etc. POP will leave them on the server no matter what you do on the client.

This is part of the reason i don't want them all - if something happens on my device and i accidentally delete a folder or a bunch of emails, they'll be lost from the server too

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
For IMAP servers, the subscribed folder list is stored on the server, so you could try using a desktop client to set up the subscriptions as you want, then the N900 should only pick up the correct folders. That's worked for me using my own IMAP server, but I've not used GMail so they might handle things differently there.