I tried to install OpenSSH (N800). First I made manouvers to enter "red pill" mode and then I tried to install OpenSSH (from maemo.org). It seems to be ok when it is downloading (the stuff is about 0,7M) but finally there is an announcement "Unable to install ssh".

If there is someone who can help me I would appreciate that

Last edited by mokkihaitari; 2007-05-16 at 07:50.

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
You have to do it as root from xterm...
Install the gainroot deb
and than...

sudo gainroot

apt-get install ssh

thanks! now it's working

Hello, please help me to know how to gain the root admin step by step. Thank you!

Fleet.

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
Originally Posted by fleet View Post
Hello, please help me to know how to gain the root admin step by step. Thank you!

Fleet.

I have responded to your PM.

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Marlow, Bucks
Can anyone help me get this going

I've become root, apt-get installed ssh.
I assume at this point I have to start ssh or sshd on the N800 - but what exactly do I enter? I have tried sshd and ssh (without any options.

I've then installed putty.exe on my XP machine and connected to my N800s local IP address (192.168.1.4) on port 22
Putty asks "login as:" and I type root
Putty asks for password: If I type the wrong password I immediately get "access denied", but if I type the correct password then Putty just stops and I get nothing!

I am not sure what I am meant to get in Putty, but I want to control the N800 terminal from the Putty application on the XP machine. Any advice on what I am doing wrong.

Thanks!

I am having same problem. Cannot get into terminal wit my xp. Will not take the rootme password.

login as user

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Marlow, Bucks
Thanks for the reply - I have just tried it and this doesn't help.

My question really is this: is it enough just to run sshd? Or is there a stage or making keys first? the wiki is a bit out of date so I don;t really understand what steps are required first.

As an aside, I have got some access to the N800 from my PC using X11VNC. There is some hint on the maemo site about tips for controlling the N800 using a VNC client, but the page doesn't exist. So if anyone has a link or any tips on hopw to control the n800 using a vnc client they'd be much appreciated!

Guys, you have to change root's and user's password in the root shell via "passwd" and "passwd user" commands. This always worked for me. As concernes VNC, you have to install VNC server. See http://mike.saunby.googlepages.com/x11vncfornokia7702
Good luck!