Notices

Posts: 259 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Vilnius, Lithuania
I had nokia maps some time ago, but the map loader software is now gone from the nokia site (N900 is not supported). Does somebody have the setup of map loader for n900?
Thanks.

Source N900 Map loader

Last edited by esthreel; 2010-10-10 at 12:37. Reason: Added link

Posts: 88 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Czech Republic
Install latest Ovi Suite.Map Loader is apart.

The Following User Says Thank You to MaemoJirka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
If you value your sanity then don't use the map loader. Just download the files you need direct from Nokia's servers

http://www.hpsblog.com/2009/07/direc...0-without.html

It's faster and you can resume downloads.

The Following User Says Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
If you value your sanity then don't use the map loader. Just download the files you need direct from Nokia's servers

http://www.hpsblog.com/2009/07/direc...0-without.html

It's faster and you can resume downloads.
I never got this direct downloaded maps to work although I followed the instructions. If someone does do this, better check that Nokia Maps really is using then maps in offline mode. You may get suprised.

The Following User Says Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
i tried ovi maps that comes with n900 in my car without connecting to the internet..just gps and didn't connect till i logged to the internet

Originally Posted by AgogData View Post
i tried ovi maps that comes with n900 in my car without connecting to the internet..just gps and didn't connect till i logged to the internet
This is known problem. We all have it.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
If someone does do this, better check that Nokia Maps really is using then maps in offline mode. You may get suprised.
The maps are available offline. The "only" problem is:
  • even if you set "Location" to NOT use "Network positioning" Ovi Maps will keep pestering you for an internet connection - which you can deny (and keep denying)
  • search (a) requires an internet connection and (b) fails 95% of the time

Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
The maps are available offline. The "only" problem is:
Well, I am not 100% sure, but I think when I tried to manually download whole country and extracted it by the instructions, it seemed still to download map tiles from the network because they came so slowly to the screen.

Well anyway, I hardly ever use Nokia Maps because it is so lame compared to Mappero and to great new comer modRana.

Posts: 210 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ NYC!!!!!!!!!!!!
o Mappero and to great new comer modRana.

do these apps have turn by turn and reliable mapping? i currently use sygic 10 and i fkn HATE it.... has to be the absolute worst mapping program out.

Well, I am not 100% sure, but I think when I tried to manually download whole country and extracted it by the instructions, it seemed still to download map tiles from the network because they came so slowly to the screen.

Well anyway, I hardly ever use Nokia Maps because it is so lame compared to Mappero and to great new comer modRana.
I have all my problems solved with OVI suite. If you have only one country try zooming out to country you will see a notification on the bottom "Downloading data" and when you are in that country there is none. So it works great, just pretty slow...