Hello folks,

im a proud owner of a N800 since a couple of days. Before buying it i read many articles about YouTube being laggy and how to fix it with Orb.
So one of the first things i did was installing Orb. Not that i use YouTube that much NOW, but i can't stand the fact something cant work properly if there's a workaround for it somewhere.

Orb install went well, i could easily see my pictures, listen to some mp3's. Very nice. Then i tried a video search at YT. Found Dr. Dre and try to play it. Mediaplayer launched but didnt buffer anything. After 10 sec. it stops and you only see the "play"button. So i didnt' see 1 frame of video.

Then i read something about codecs here on the forum. I downloaded RealPlayer 10.5 gold, rebooted... nothing. I downloaded K-lite codec pack... nothing. I changed the speed settings to 80 kbps, while my connection is more than 10 times faster, nothing. So in other words: i need help!

Please... is there someone who can help me out? I dont know anymore what to do with Orb. I just want to have it working. I can stream directly from YouTube without a problem, but it's a bit laggy as you all know. So it's not that RealM isnt working.

I can listen to streaming radio through Orb, see my photo's etc. TV also loads, but it's choppy. So why doesnt YouTube work?? Please any thoughts?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
You can't update things like RealAudio unless you have a version made especially for the N800.

The most important thing is to upgrade your N800 firmware; have you done that?

I have the latest firmware yes, the 3-2007-10-7 one.

I was starting to think that maybe my router caused problems, but i think that's not the cause, cause i can listen music and see my pics from my pc through Orb.

Thanks for the heads up.

Any other thoughts?

I am having the exact same problem with Orb that you are having. Orb audio works fine, RM video from other sources works fine. When trying to watch video from Orb, MPlayer opens, it looks like the video is trying to load for about 10 sec, but then gives up. There is no error generated.

I have installed MPlayer and all dependent libs many times with no change. I have installed Orb and Real Player a few times on 2 different systems, with no change.

I have tried lots of different bit rates from 2 different networks.

Also, I am booting from MMC.

I know that a lot of people have no issues, but there must be something that stops Orb from working correctly for some people.

Thanks

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Denver, CO
I think I know whats going on with Orb 2.0 and the N800 always buffering. It's not the Nokia N800 device its Orb 2.0. I did some test from my home PC using Windows ASX format and it works perfect, but if I change it to stream using Real audio it buffers ever few seconds just like the N800. My home PC is a dual core intel. I have tons of power so I know its not the PC. I also can go to other sites and stream real audio just fine.

Funny thing is that even if I set the webspeed to 200k it buffers ever 20 seconds. When I look at my server ( Dual core AMD x2 3800+ ) its only using 30-40% cpu so that tells me my server is not peaking out my CPU when it transcodes the video to real audio streaming format.

So the fix for this issues is for Orb 2.0 to fix the bug they have with REAL audio Streaming transcoding.

Just a note:
On my server I have the full Real audio installed. If you look at the c:\program files\orb you will notice they have a special codec to transcode Real audio. They are not using the one you install. I know there is a setting in org configuration that allows you to tell which codec to use but it does not work with real audio. It does work with windows files just not real audio.

Just sharing what I have found.

ORB man up already so we can watch kill real audio on N800......

Well, You were right man! In the new version it's solved! Download 2.00.0903 and all your worries are gone and certainly mine!

Im very happy now. It looks cool, runs smooth now as it should be.

http://blogrq.blogspot.com

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Eastern U.S.A.
That version has made a significant difference for me as well. From my WinXP MCE machine, streaming of live video from the frame grabber or playback of recorded video both seem to work.

Transcoding of Windows Media streams from the Internet into RealVideo for the N800 still suffers the same 10second buffering problem, but it's a dramatic improvement.

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
I love Orb

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Northeast USA
I have a n800 (latest firmware) and recently installed orb on my PC... I am able to stream liveTV reasonably well, a little block at times but on my local network its fine... my big thing is I want to use orb to view youtube videos since the flash support in opera is not adequate for viewing youtube from the web directly... if I access Videos->Online Videos from the orb UI on the n800, and try to load a youtube video it starts up the mediaplayer but nothing starts streaming.... Has anyone gotten this working yet? any advice would be greatly appreciated... I do have mmplayer and canola installed, is there a way to get orb to use one of the other players?

--Jeff