Hi, forum folks,

I'm posting this to see if anyone else has heard that the N900 has been discontinued, and thus they cannot have their defective N900 replaced (only refunded), from Nokia.

Here's what happened to me: I was shipped a defective N900, on which the wifi and bluetooth were nonfunctional. I returned the N900 to Nokia on Sep 6, using an RMA code for a return-for-replacement (marked in no fewer than 12 spots on the shipping and inside containers), and their shipping label. It got there on Sep 9th. I called frequently and was told there was no way to know when I would be shipped a replacement, but that it would be within 30 days. However, Oct 9th passed and no N900.

Finally, I was told, Nokia service could "escalate" my inquiry about this. I called several times over the next week (in each case holding for 15-25 minutes before I talked to a Nokia agent), and was put off twice--"wait three days, and call us back..." "wait another three days now, and call us back again..." In the course of these conversations I learned that a filing error on Nokia's end, with regard to my RMA number, had prevented the N900 from being properly processed for a return. I'll wait for an N900, though I'd like a phone to use in the meantime, I said.

Today I've heard back from Nokia that the N900 has been discontinued and so nothing but a refund can be processed. I'm frankly very annoyed about this situation, particularly since I've seen reports elsewhere on these forums that some N900s _are_ being made and have been promised to others who returned their N900s later than I did.

In any case, has anyone else heard that the N900 is not being made, and thus their return for replacement has been denied?

Best,
Jon

The Following User Says Thank You to jonathandueck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 192 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ south of France
Hi.
I don't know anything about replacement or N900 discontinued, but if they refund you the price you bought it (649$?), you should buy a new one at a lower price today (399$ on serious sites today), no?

Last edited by cevenn; 2010-10-19 at 01:04.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cevenn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Daly City
Yeah... if you can get a full refund from it. that would be better than replacement.. coz u can still get it from online store for lower price...

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
amazon.com still selling it

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ south of France
399$...
I'd love to have a total refund today, for an azerty one...

Posts: 166 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Halifax, UK
hmmm... mine has just gone in for a new screen so they'd better not try and pull that excuse with me

Alas, I got it on the summer sale, so I'd take a loss getting a new one. On the other hand, they haven't actually processed the refund from that summer sale yet, so perhaps they'd refund me $500...

Posts: 562 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Daly City
Originally Posted by jonathandueck View Post
Alas, I got it on the summer sale, so I'd take a loss getting a new one. On the other hand, they haven't actually processed the refund from that summer sale yet, so perhaps they'd refund me $500...
cool.... im gonna break mine too... and get a refund... haha

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Congratulation Jon, refund is definitely better than replacement. Also it's good precedence for those who've been so unfortunate to buy a defective product.

As to the discontinuity of N900, Let's not worry about it. They're just starting to open the sales channels in Asia region for N900. May be the production lines of N900 for your region is discontinued in favor of newer production, but it may not applicable to other regions.

And it'd not be a bad news if N900 was really discontinued globally, as that means its decendent is ready for production now.

Originally Posted by jonathandueck View Post
Hi, forum folks,

I'm posting this to see if anyone else has heard that the N900 has been discontinued, and thus they cannot have their defective N900 replaced (only refunded), from Nokia.

Here's what happened to me: I was shipped a defective N900, on which the wifi and bluetooth were nonfunctional. I returned the N900 to Nokia on Sep 6, using an RMA code for a return-for-replacement (marked in no fewer than 12 spots on the shipping and inside containers), and their shipping label. It got there on Sep 9th. I called frequently and was told there was no way to know when I would be shipped a replacement, but that it would be within 30 days. However, Oct 9th passed and no N900.

Finally, I was told, Nokia service could "escalate" my inquiry about this. I called several times over the next week (in each case holding for 15-25 minutes before I talked to a Nokia agent), and was put off twice--"wait three days, and call us back..." "wait another three days now, and call us back again..." In the course of these conversations I learned that a filing error on Nokia's end, with regard to my RMA number, had prevented the N900 from being properly processed for a return. I'll wait for an N900, though I'd like a phone to use in the meantime, I said.

Today I've heard back from Nokia that the N900 has been discontinued and so nothing but a refund can be processed. I'm frankly very annoyed about this situation, particularly since I've seen reports elsewhere on these forums that some N900s _are_ being made and have been promised to others who returned their N900s later than I did.

In any case, has anyone else heard that the N900 is not being made, and thus their return for replacement has been denied?

Best,
Jon
Hmm this is very interesting news. Would Nokia be so generous though?

My N900 has been with Nokia since 9 September. I called them last week and they said that no replacements will be available until the second week of November and I could have an N95 to use in the meantime (great I get to use a 5year old phone).

I know the N900 has been discontinued in the US so I really have been wondering where they were going to get these replacements. Were they going to have to manufacture some to cover warranties or were they going to have to import from another country?

A full refund for me would be great as I paid $625. Only thing is I am not sure how they would process my refund since I live in the UK and don't have a US bank account.

Anyway in case Nokia give me a full refund could someone point me to where I could get a new N900 for cheap.