Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
I've trashed Nokia for when I thought it did some bad stuff or half-assed stuff on the N900. So now they do something good and I need to be "Fair and Balanced"!

The BT earphone performance was horrendous originally.

Then 1.1 and it got some better.

Then 1.2 and it was a lot better, I could now use some of my collection of BT headsets. But if I was using WiFi, forget it, still a "little" bit of static artifacts.

Now with 1.3 I can use the same earphones that were unusable in 1.1 and somewhat usable in 1.2, are really good in 1.3 and I can use WiFi to boot!

Finally! I am happy with the Connectivity options!

Now if Nokia would Open Source the Calendar and the Addressbook, we would have something here!

lol, i like your fairness

The Calendar and Addressbook must contain Nuclear Secrets or something.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
I've trashed Nokia for when I thought it did some bad stuff or half-assed stuff on the N900. So now they do something good and I need to be "Fair and Balanced"!

The BT earphone performance was horrendous originally.

Then 1.1 and it got some better.

Then 1.2 and it was a lot better, I could now use some of my collection of BT headsets. But if I was using WiFi, forget it, still a "little" bit of static artifacts.

Now with 1.3 I can use the same earphones that were unusable in 1.1 and somewhat usable in 1.2, are really good in 1.3 and I can use WiFi to boot!

Finally! I am happy with the Connectivity options!
"Me too!!11one1"

Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
Now if Nokia would Open Source the Calendar and the Addressbook, we would have something here!
This I couldn't understand. I mean, I understand the need for everything to be open, but I do not really understand why the Calendar and Address book are so high in the order of needing to be open source. Don't the hardware drivers (OMAP, GSM) matter more?
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

It is definitely better, but not perfect.

I still get a glitch every time it does a check for wifi networks. And that rise in pitch for a couple of seconds until the music catches up.

I'll just deal with it, because i'm not turning off the wifi searching all together that would suck.

Originally Posted by uvatbc View Post
"Me too!!11one1"
This I couldn't understand. I mean, I understand the need for everything to be open, but I do not really understand why the Calendar and Address book are so high in the order of needing to be open source. Don't the hardware drivers (OMAP, GSM) matter more?
The hardware drivers may be expected to be closed - it is a matter of industrial property protection
(which is debatable and I for one do not always agree with one way or the other)
and even then there are bits for which closed-source drivers are just ludicrous.

Having the calendar, addresses contacts and localization closed source
is simply breathtakingly stupid there is utterly no justification for this.
If they would open up the source on those issues anyone could rewrite their
code in a heartbeat to make the UI so much better.

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following User Says Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by theonelaw View Post
The hardware drivers may be expected to be closed - it is a matter of industrial property protection
(which is debatable and I for one do not always agree with one way or the other)
and even then there are bits for which closed-source drivers are just ludicrous.

Having the calendar, addresses contacts and localization closed source
is simply breathtakingly stupid there is utterly no justification for this.
If they would open up the source on those issues anyone could rewrite their
code in a heartbeat to make the UI so much better.
Indeed - O - Mundo!!

The UI would become the best there is.

This Nokia's short sightedness on this. I can understand it if they were going to support and continue development.

But since Maemo is going to Community support and development, we really need these pieces for integration.

Think where we would be if they would "open" Phone-Contacts-Calendar?

I would buy 5 more of these and keep them in a jar under Funk & Wagnall's backporch for safe keeping