Active Topics

Notices

Hello folks.
I'm going fishing in three weeks and want to use my N900 to record, save and track 'on the water' progress. I have GeePS, Maep, Ovi Maps, Google maps all installed but I need some advice on how I could achieve the following.
  • Record current GPS location(s) as fishing spots
  • Easily load the 'spot' and get GPS directions to it (no roads required )
  • Get current location in relation to recorded 'spot'
  • View 'tracks' taken with the boat from previous days.

Essentially, more like a fishing GPS instead of a road one... any ideas?

Well, there's Mappero which lets you save locations by double-tapping on the map and choosing to save a POI there, you could save them as your fishing spots and then it displays them on the map all the time.It can give directions to it but I think it uses Google's routing which will no doubt try and get you there by road. It'll also show you where you are and where the saved location is and how far away it is, I'm not sure if that's what you mean in your last point.

But yeah, I'd say give Mappero a try, it seems to be what you're looking for.

EDIT: I just checked and you can choose the kind of routing to get you there by going to "Options" after you choose, "Find route to..." when you've double-tapped an existing POI or location on the map. It gives you a choice of car, walk or bike.

EDIT2: You learn by helping it seems, Mappero can also save a track if you tap the second icon down on the left (in landscape mode, looks like a sign or something) and go to the bottom of the pop-up to choose, "Enable tracking". You can save those tracks.

Last edited by Hterag; 2010-10-31 at 03:26.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hterag For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
What about modRana ?

You can save your current position as a POI and then get an (online) route from your current position to this (or any other saved) POI. It is also possible to quickly recenter the map to each POI + distance from current position is provided. New POI can be also added manually by providing lat/lon coordinates or by choosing a spot from the map.

ModRana also supports track logging and stored tracks can be shown on the map (many tracks can be displayed at once + it is possible to set color per track).

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Ok seems like the software is there for the job....now for the next question.
If I locate or buy New Zealand coastal / topography maps (tiles?) could I theoretically use these inside one of these systems?

Google has a pretty good view of the New Zealand coastline from satellite, but I want a bit more specifics.

Also - Could and offline option be possible?

Hi, OK further to this, I have found out that I can D/L the marine maps (charts) for anywhere in New Zealand in a high res .jpg or .tiff format. Would there be anyway to 'calibrate' such a map into the software/GPS so that I could see where we were on 'my map' ?

I read a small post here about someone doing it on a JAVA app using a Nokia (symbian).

OK so I'm bumping my thread a bit, Particularly @ MartinK

It would seem all the software/gps functionality is there (take your pick) to do what I need, now all I need is the ability to load/calibrate a custom WGS84 Datum nautical map that I have.

Its in a digital format (.tiff, jpn, png)

I'm also following this thread but it seems a bit complex for me.

Maybe I just need to read some more....