Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Hi Alls - have tarr'd up my app here and trying to figure out why there is no application in the application menu! (Not the icon disappearing issue, but it is literally not in the app menu)
http://ubuntuone.com/p/Pia/ (Edit - i'm assuming you can see this? first time on ubuntu and using ubuntu one lol)

i'm getting really confused with all the packaging guides, etc etc, and my main key areas of confusion are:
The file structure needed, and how this changes depending on what you put in certain files.
Also, what all the lines in certain files do, and how they affect things. Have seen many many examples, but none that shed light on the whole process yet.

(Yes i'm aware there are many many ways of packaging, developing etc)

I'm developing in the Nokia QT SDK, the app works fine on the device in testing.

So i then put all these files in their right places,
use mad dpkg-buildpackage
then
mad dpkg-buildpackage -sa -S

I then get my dsc, changes and tar file, upload and it builds fine

Any help would be greatly appreciated
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Last edited by noobmonkey; 2010-11-17 at 17:49.

Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by noobmonkey View Post
Hi Alls - have tarr'd up my app here and trying to figure out why there is no application in the application menu! (Not the icon disappearing issue, but it is literally not in the app menu)
No surprise, the contents of your deb-file:
Code:
dpkg --contents maecount_0.8.3_armel.deb 
drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2010-11-17 18:22 ./
drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2010-11-17 18:22 ./usr/
drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2010-11-17 18:22 ./usr/share/
drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2010-11-17 18:22 ./usr/share/doc/
drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2010-11-17 18:22 ./usr/share/doc/maecount/
-rw-r--r-- root/root      1379 2010-11-14 22:16 ./usr/share/doc/maecount/copyright
I'm developing in the Nokia QT SDK, the app works fine on the device in testing.
Do you use the latest QT SDK?

I am sorry I can not help more, but I use scratchbox most
of the time and don't know exactly which files are generated
by the Nokia SDK.

Nicolai

The Following User Says Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 60 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Skovballe, Denmark
Hi noobmonkey

If all you want is an installation package (.deb) to install on your n900, the Nokia QT SDK can create the package for you, all you have to do is to select the Maemo build target, and build !

To get an desktop icon you have to create an <your application>.desktop file and include it in the package (under projects / build steps/files to deploy) to be installed in /usr/share/applications/hildon, and of course you should include an icon too.

Kim

Well, I'm working on that for the second night ... unsuccesfull ... (but still having fun with QT ;-)

I'm using QtCreator 2.1 BETA. This version does a lot for you. It creates the package, deploys it to your n900 and install that one. So far, so good.

The net has enough information about the content of the desktop file (should be in /usr/share/applications/hildon) and the icon (should be in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64). But there is something that I haven't figured out yet.

Or I put these files in the same directory as the source files and I add a specific command in the Project file to copy them to the correct directory on the n900. But what command do I use?

Or I put these files in a path that matches the path on the n900. But what is the correct path?

Any help is welcome!

Hi kif,

I can not find "projects/build steps/files to deploy". I do have "files to install" under RUN SETTINGS. But I do not work out how I can add files to that list.

You need to change to Build settings, there you should be able to set the package settings (version, build etc).

Kim

Something like this

In files to deploy you setelt source file and anter target path & filename.

Kim

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kif For This Useful Post:
Well, now I see the issue! Thanks for your post!

I'm using Qtcreator 2.1 BETA at the moment. In that version I do not have the 'create package' under Build settings. I do see "files to deploy" under "Run Settings". Unfortunaly. that one does not have the '+' and '-' buttons.

I've read that the final version of QtCreator 2.1 will do everything automatically for you. That explains why the 'create package' is missing. Unfortunaly "everything" automatically is not 100% correct yet in this BETA. I'll drop the team a mail. I think I have to switch back to 2.0.1. till this issue is solved (or I've found a workaround)

Thanks for your image!

Ok, you can copy the extra files into the debian directory, and then build your project, this will include the extra files.

You will find the debian directory in <your appplication>-build-maemo/debian/<your application>/debian, here you put the files in the
coresponding directory structure as it should have on your n900.

Kim

The Following User Says Thank You to kif For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
http://ubuntuone.com/p/Pia/ (Edit - i'm assuming you can see this? first time on ubuntu and using ubuntu one lol)

i'm getting really confused with all the packaging guides, etc etc, and my main key areas of confusion are:
The file structure needed, and how this changes depending on what you put in certain files.
Also, what all the lines in certain files do, and how they affect things. Have seen many many examples, but none that shed light on the whole process yet.

(Yes i'm aware there are many many ways of packaging, developing etc)

So i then put all these files in their right places,
use mad dpkg-buildpackage
then
mad dpkg-buildpackage -sa -S

I then get my dsc, changes and tar file, upload and it builds fine

Any help would be greatly appreciated
found a solution:

edit rules,
change APPNAME to maecount
rename MaeCount.pro to maecount.pro
in pro file change target.path to /usr/bin
in desktop file change exec to lowercase maecount