Active Topics

Well of course I searched around a little and I haven't really found a direct answer to my question, so I decided to post about it.

My N800 will be arriving today, and I'm extremely anxious about using it, would it be harmful to begin using it while charging it for the first time? Does it come charged from the factory? Should I let it charge completely before using it?(PLEASE GOD NOOOOOO!!!!) What if I let it charge for 5-10min (read: 10sec) and then begin use, would that result in harmful effects?

Posts: 187 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Southampton, UK
You can use it while charging. The battery doesn't have memory.

Hooray. Thanks for the quick reply.

Posts: 165 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Boston MA USA
When I bought my first N800 on January 8 (the release day), I didn't even wait to find an AC outlet. Opened the box in my car and fired it up right there. The battery shipped with enough charge to support my instant gratification. ;-)

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Northeast USA
Mine is arriving tomorrow, I am thinking about getting a car charger for it... I just wanted to make sure there was no way to charge the thing via the USB port before I spend the money on yet another car charger... I already have a car usb charger .

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by peterjb31 View Post
You can use it while charging. The battery doesn't have memory.
A lot of sources advise for LiIon batteries to let them go through a couple of complete charges/deep discharges the first time. It's claimed to help maximize the battery capacity.

This thing is beyond AWESOME!!!! I'm loving it.... the stylus could be longer, the little shiny silver part is rubbing a sore on the side of my index knuckle.... any remedies tot his?

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by noyz View Post
This thing is beyond AWESOME!!!! I'm loving it.... the stylus could be longer, the little shiny silver part is rubbing a sore on the side of my index knuckle.... any remedies tot his?
Use it with the silver nubbin on the outside.

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Northeast USA
another noob question... I will be traveling this weekend and was wondering, after doing any system updates, can I download and install packages directly on the n800.... ie if I'm on the road using the n800 over bT, can I download something like gaim or ssh and install it without having another computer handy?

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by docnesh View Post
another noob question... I will be traveling this weekend and was wondering, after doing any system updates, can I download and install packages directly on the n800.... ie if I'm on the road using the n800 over bT, can I download something like gaim or ssh and install it without having another computer handy?
Absolutely - a seperate computer is only needed to reflash the firmware. For application installs, a seperate computer is not required at all.