Active Topics

Notices

i have installed quake 3 and i have the game files in MyDocs but my /opt is only 200MB and the files are 400 MB,,is there a way to start the game from MyDocs ?
the game files should be put in /home/user/.q3a/baseq3

Posts: 255 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Finland
Yes, you can just create a symlink. Ie. if the files are in MyDocs/baseq3 you can open the terminal and type "ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/baseq3 .q3a/baseq3"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WereCatf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Originally Posted by WereCatf View Post
Yes, you can just create a symlink. Ie. if the files are in MyDocs/baseq3 you can open the terminal and type "ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/baseq3 .q3a/baseq3"
I thought that would fail since the baseq3 data pak files need to have execute permissions not available on the /home/user/MyDocs FAT32 formatted partition.

Originally Posted by AgogData View Post
i have installed quake 3 and i have the game files in MyDocs but my /opt is only 200MB and the files are 400 MB,,is there a way to start the game from MyDocs ?
the game files should be put in /home/user/.q3a/baseq3
I've got a similar problem since I've got so many WebOS games installed.

Since I don't want to screw with my partitioning, I use a script that swaps the Quake 3 pak data files with the data files from N.O.V.A.

When I want to play a game, the script will swap and chmod the files I need from /media/mmc1 to /home/user and swap out the game I'm not playing back to the SD card for safe keeping.

Not very elegant, but it works.

Originally Posted by cddiede View Post

Since I don't want to screw with my partitioning, I use a script that swaps the Quake 3 pak data files with the data files from N.O.V.A.

When I want to play a game, the script will swap and chmod the files I need from /media/mmc1 to /home/user and swap out the game I'm not playing back to the SD card for safe keeping.

i have asphalt 5 and hawx for webos games, but in Werecatf's method can i chmod -777 the MyDocs folder ?

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 135 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Wish I was in Greece

Hey guys, I used Veleno's method here to make MyDocs run executables and then to solve the tracker problem (all the videos and photos from the games appearing under the media app) I did this and soo far so good.

The Following User Says Thank You to Parlapipas For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by AgogData View Post
i have asphalt 5 and hawx for webos games, but in Werecatf's method can i chmod -777 the MyDocs folder ?
That's what I was pointing out is that you can't set the executable permission (777) on file within a FAT32 formatted file system.

Any "fix" for this would involved repartitioning some space in MyDocs as ext2 or ext3.

The Following User Says Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
sorry for being as ADHD but its the lack of experience,but in Valenon's thread
Reboot your phone if you did everything right there should be no problems, then you can install games anywhere in there.
what should i do after editing mmc-mount ?

That's what I was pointing out is that you can't set the executable permission (777) on file within a FAT32 formatted file system.

Any "fix" for this would involved repartitioning some space in MyDocs as ext2 or ext3.

? I' ve installed some games and whit chmod -R 777 i set the correct permission

Originally Posted by Veleno View Post
? I' ve installed some games and whit chmod -R 777 i set the correct permission
Any files in a FAT32 filesystem will show some default BS permission of like 644 or something. Any chmod command will execute without error on these files, but if you look at their attributes they will remain unchanged after your chmod. It just ignores you.

You'll also notice that if you copy files to/from a FAT32 partition and an ext2 partition it'll echo out a warning about being unable to preserve the file ownership.