Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
I recently reflashed my N900 and after I reinstalled my apps from a backup, I noticed this application - PyQt4 Full Install. I dont remeber having it installed myself, and judging by the description, its more of a developer's app. So my question is - do I have to keep it, is something important dependent on it, or is it safe to remove it? Thank you.

yes it's used by some applications as a dependency.

The Following User Says Thank You to Radicalz38 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
No you don't need to install that. The description is clear.

You won't break anything if you do but you'll probably don't need need all of them

If you install any application that requires specific libs out of it, the application manager will install them and only those.
If an application depends on this package most probably it was an exaggeration of the developer and you didn't get this application from extras, but rather devel or testing.

hih

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
If an application depends on this package most probably it was an exaggeration of the developer and you didn't get this application from extras, but rather devel or testing.

hih
Well hate to say this but you're wrong
Your swappolube reached the extras repository and it requires the pyqt dependencies hehehe
http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...ppolube/0.3-1/

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
it doesn't require all of the pyqt dependencies though?
Swappolube needs these : qt4-gui, qt4-core, qt4-maemo5

Whereas the full install has:
QtCore, QtDBus, QtMultimedia QtGui, QtNetwork, phonon, QtSql, QtSVG, QtMaemo5 QtScript, QtWebkit, QtOpenGL, QtXML, QtXMLPatterns
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Originally Posted by Radicalz38 View Post
Well hate to say this but you're wrong
Your swappolube reached the extras repository and it requires the pyqt dependencies hehehe
http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...ppolube/0.3-1/
I think you have misunderstood how the dependencies and promotion work.

Most probably you are referring to the fact that in order a package to be promoted it needs all its dependencies first to be promoted.

Since Swappolube depends on few of the libs included in the PyQt package then it needs to be available before Swappolube gets promoted.

In the end, it doesn't matter - a user does not need to care about Python or PyQt and should not need to install them himself.

The "full" package is to support new developers to jump faster in the developing process instead of searching which libs they need. The description has this clearly explained as well as a warning of the additional space it will take in rootfs.

hope it helps to clear this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post: