A few days ago, I bought a Freedom Keyboard on e-Bay for my new Nokia N800. Does anyone know how to get it to work with SPP (not the HID)? Should have bought the Freedom Universal Keyboard, but let its price drive my decision to purchase, and that was a mistake. I am a green pea at this, so I need directions as what to do next, if anything.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Zorro

Go to Fanoush's website and install his kbdd. http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/ If you need any handholding in this installation and activation for the Freedom keyboard (as you might) let me know and I can supply you with possibly more detailed instructions.

My word, I looked at all that is posted and thought where do I begin. The person that wrote this must assume we all have a programming background. Perhaps you can point me in the right direction for keyboard software for dummies (block heads) like myself.

Thank you,

Zorro

The Following User Says Thank You to Jazz4Two For This Useful Post:
A programming background is not necessarily the issue. Being able to work one's way around the Linux file system and edit files are the basics required. If you can first accomplish the following, then let me know and I can attempt to guide you further.

You need to have enabled some form of root access to the device in order to effect installation. Go to http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HowDoiBecomeRoot2 for any guidance you may need on how to do that. Having done so, it will now be assumed that you have xterm and access to root via ssh established.

I'm in the same boat here... Have new freedom universal keyboard, need to install kbdd. I have tried to becomeroot as detailed, and myy xterm prompt changed to- Nokia-n800-10. Did I do it right? What next? I have basically no Linux experience and can't even figure out ho to display what the directory I'm in has in it! Help!

Okay. Obviously this is no place to begin a basic Linux tutorial. There are plenty of books and internet sources for that. When I purchased my initial Nokia internet tablet (the 770), with no Linux knowledge at all, it triggered my interest and education in Linux by introducing me to all the many expanded options available for the Nokia's use.

Osso-xterm, which can be readily installed through your Nokia Applications Manager, gives you access to the Linux file system on your Nokia. Installing an ssh application (I prefer Dropbear to OpenSSH) , also from your Applcations Manager, allows you to work in your Nokia's Linux file system from your pc through the Nokia's internet connection. But in order to do this you either have to have a form of Linux installed on your pc (maybe through partitioning of your hard drive) or through your pc's cd-rom reader utilizing a bootable cd with one of several excellent Linux versions which can work with your pc in that manner. All this is freely downloadable from the internet. When you have a working osso-xterm and ssh communication between your Nokia and pc, a wonderful world opens up for you -- including being able to use your Freedom keyboard.

I have managed to get root access, and have extracted the files, eddited the config file with proper bt address, but i get error message:

1: ?BDADDR=00:0B:0D:85:2E:1E: not found
Bluettoth keyboard not configured.

This is the right address.... have i messed up the syntax or something?

(The web is great for crash course Linux!)

The following is an expanded reworking of Fanoush's KBDD directions which I made principally for my own use a year or two ago. You may wish to extract from it anything further of use to you.

"After you have downloaded and extracted kbdd.tgz, you will have a resulting kbdd directory which contains the necessary files and scripts. Some of these will require manipulation, editing and/or execution, none of which is very complicated. For ease of any file modification, access via ssh is recommended. However, certain actions, especially execution, require initiation directly through xterm on the device. Where this is recommended or required, it will be mentioned in the appropriate instruction.

HOWTO

1. Copy kbdd.tgz to the device and extract it somewhere.

Nokia770-45:~# tar zxvf kbdd.tgz

Then cd to the newly-created directory, kbdd, and list the files (ls -la) within that directory so that you will be aware of what files it contains. Note that within the kbdd directory there is also a kbdd file, which you will later need to briefly refer to (via a "cat" command).

2. Utilizing the vi editor (or any other text editor you may have installed on the device) create or edit the btkbd.conf file found in your kbdd directory, in order to insert specific designations regarding the keyboard address and type relevant to your particular keyboard .

This file will look initially somewhat as follows (which you may first choose to examine via "cat" prior to bringing it up in your editor):

BDADDR="00:00:00:00:00:00"
KBTYPE=btfoldable
PORTNUM=2

Should there be any # designation before any of the above, you may safely remove it.

BDADDR is where you need to insert the keyboard address of your own particular keyboard. You can find this address by making your keyboard discoverable through pressing whatever button turns it on. (A LED should start blinking.) Then execute 'hcitool scan' as root or './btkbd scan' as user in the xterm for the appropriate address numbers to be shown. (If you attempt this via ssh, it probably won't work.) Then substitute those numbers for the zeros on the BDADDR line in the btkbd.conf file.

KBTYPE is kbdd keyboard type, and you will probably need to replace the btfoldable' designation. Execute a cat kbdd' command and scroll to the top for a listing of the keyboard types and appropriate designations in text form at the head of the file. Locate your particular keyboard in the list and as appropriate substitute its designation on the KBTYPE line in the btkbd.conf file. (Should your keyboard be a Freedom Bluetooth keyboard, the default is for a French keyboard layout. If you prefer an English/American keyboard layout, then download the separate binary, extract its kbdd file, and substitute that one for the current one.)

PORTNUM is bluetooth rfcomm port number on n770 side. Port 0 may be used
for your mobile phone so it's advisable to choose a number bigger than 0.

3. (Option A) If your method of gaining access to root is through the preferred sudo gainroot' command, make the keyboard discoverable again by turning it on and execute the btkbd script. Do not attempt to initiate this command vis ssh as it probably won't work.

Nokia770-45:~/kbdd# ./btkbd

Ascertain that the keyboard has accepted the connection. The LED may merely blink at a different frequency to show this, or it may require a "pairing" this first time. In such a case, a pop up dialog may be displayed on the N770 display after the btkbd command has been executed which may require some input from you.

3. (Option B) If your method of gaining access to root is instead through the sudo su' command, you must first make simple edits in the btkbd,' install_shortcut.sh' and remove_shortcut.sh' scripts. If such are required, merely substitute sudo su' for sudo gainroot' as appropriate. Then proceed to execute the btkbd command as described in (Option A) above.

4. Execute the btkbd script again to disconnect the keyboard. There should be some indication on the keyboard and/or on the screen that the connection has been terminated.

5. If the keyboard has thus successfully functioned, you can then add the menu shortcut. Just execute the install_shortcut.sh script from within the kbdd directory again not via ssh."

Good luck.

Is there any reason why my Freedom keyboard and KBDD should work so ... badly? Using it is about as fun as the on-screen keyboard.

Everything is paired and the keyboard "works", but it's hardly able to keep up with even moderatly competent typing speeds.

I've found either the keys don't register or some get "lost" or duplicated. It's reduced typing to a single-finger "press key, look at screen, press next key, look at screen, correct mistake" effort.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
double post, already asked and answered
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...7471#post47471
Did you check CPU usage or tried to turn off wi-fi or try at different location?

You may also try newer kbdd as mentioned in
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=6635

Last edited by fanoush; 2007-06-05 at 14:07.