Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Toronto
I tried installing the applications to use the VNC viewer with my home XP Media Edition PC and I was unable to connect even though I attempted to follow the instructions, has any one else been able to successfully do this and if so was there any kind of special set up that was required or any suggestions you can make for someone who is new to this application with the N800?

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on May 2007 @ St.Petersburg, FL
it does work, make sure that your firewall on the desktop is either off (only for testing) or configured to allow vnc (preferred).

Posts: 98 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Port Angeles, WA
I also can't seem to figure this out. Anybody have a step by step?

Here is what I've done:

No firewall
Installed vnc server via Synaptic on PCLINUXOS laptop connected via wifi to net.
Turned on server as service
Went to DyamicDNS and set up acct
Installed vnc viewer
Tried to connect using both DynamicDNS and ip,all I get is uable to connect mssage which is unhelpfull - no idea why.

i am connecting to vnc server installed on windows so only the ip or name is needed. On linux you will have to specify the port that vnc server used like so x.x.x.x:Port and it should work. Normally the port will start at 0 but it can increment by 1 everytime you restart the service for the vnc server. there should be a way to make it use the same port all the time but i haven't played with vnc on linux in a long time.

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
Originally Posted by blakboy98 View Post
i am connecting to vnc server installed on windows so only the ip or name is needed. On linux you will have to specify the port that vnc server used like so x.x.x.x:Port and it should work. Normally the port will start at 0 but it can increment by 1 everytime you restart the service for the vnc server. there should be a way to make it use the same port all the time but i haven't played with vnc on linux in a long time.
Is not the port is the tty or more known "display" what starts at 0. for example the port 5901will connect you to "display 1" Logically is the port but better explained. Locally you would have to do....

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:1

that is correct, i did word that wrong. thanks for the correction

How should I set up my windows xp home machine to act as server? I have installed Tight VNC, but thats about as far as I got. I have VNC Viewer on the n800, now just trying to figure out how to build the bridge between. Obviously I know very little about networking, but am willing to learn. Any suggestions?

If tightVNC is running on your PC, you should see an icon in the system tray and WinVNC.exe running as a process. On installation you should have been forced to select a Password for the server.

On your Nokia it's a simple matter of entering the IP of the PC e.g. 192.168.1.105 and then it should connect to the PC and ask for the password.

If this isn't happening it is likely your Firewall is blocking the comm.

I just installed it and i did have to configure Windows firewall.

Just go into control panel/Windows Firewall and see if its turned on... if you want to leave it on then go into the exceptions tab and 'add port' call it vnc and set to 5900 (or whatever you configure server to use). It should work now.

I noticed that vnc is much faster than RDP when displaying lots of information like images/wallpaper? Anyone know why rdp would be that much slower (than desktop rdp) its like its painting line by line. VNC on 800 is about the same speed as on desktop.

Ok, remember to start services. That did the trick, no problems anymore at all. Totally wild! I cna view everything but video from my home PC. Anyone know if there is a setting you can tweak to force auto refreshes? It seems that it takes a tap of the scroll bar or some other event to trigger a refresh, making it seem more laggy than I think it really is.