Notices

i just bought my n900 brand new in box last weekend. after i fired it up and enterd my pin number i wanted to install rootsh ( every forum says its the first thing to do ) so while installing rootsh i get an error : not enough installation memory in application to install aplication . and how could that be with a brand new device ? after a bit of reading everyone says its the root memory thats full so i tried to flash it but just get an %m message i googled it but there is no explanation for the %m message or the not having root on a new device . so if anyone please can help i am willing to pay because it feels like nokia jammed 450 euros up my a**

chris

ow and i am using 57% of my root partition and cant install any apps at all

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Hi, welcome to the forum.

Which OS are you using on the PC you will be flashing the phone from?

Have you had a read of the Wiki?
It's here: http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware

That should tell you everything on flashing.

Any problem or if you get stuck just post back.

The Following User Says Thank You to James_Littler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 76 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Romania
Originally Posted by chubi View Post
ow and i am using 57% of my root partition and cant install any apps at all
Are you sure is the phone original? What is wrote under the battery? Made in ....... ?

What version of Maemo do you use? PR 1.2 or PR 1.3 ?

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
If you truly bought a new unopened device, I wouldnt even bother troubleshooting. Just return it and get a new one under warranty.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 100 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ india
second that thought.. if its a week old take it back to where you bought it and give em hell...

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by chubi View Post
....so if anyone please can help i am willing to pay because it feels like nokia jammed 450 euros up my a**

chris
Oh dear god please help me. Letīs try to see here how your brains actually work

- You buy device A from Company B
- You read internets and find out that there is this wonderful app that is for people who like to spend their time in x terminal and run apps from there which need root priviledges.
--After seeing where you struggle Iīm not sure if x terminal is for you pal. You could get your N900 really messed up from there.
- Moreover app that you are trying to install is not from Nokia. Iīm not sure that if you are aware of this, but you are able to really make your N900 not to boot by installing some apps. And thatīs is not Nokias fault. Actually you get warning on default app manager when you install stuff outside of Nokias own app "store"/repository. Itīs not there just for fun.

What in the name of god makes you think that Nokia is responsible here.

So letīs try to go on from here
- First check what version of OS you have. You can find your version from settings->about.
- Start x terminal and run command df -h and copy paste output here
.edit So you have done this and it shows that you are using only 57% of space?
-And about that %m error. Well what I think that you have done is that you have not understood wiki.maemo.org flash guide. Probably you have either copied image to wrong directory (should be same with flasher) or you are making typos (remember to use TABulator when giving filenames to flasher).

And please remember that this place is not Nokia support channel. Just mixed group of people trying to do weird kind of stuff with this device.

.edit
Any apps at all. Not even from Nokias own store? Then return it or flash it completely with emmc+rootfs images. Guides can be found from http://wiki.maemo.org

Last edited by slender; 2010-12-03 at 15:20.

Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
delete this thread. Wondering what the moderators are doing here...if there are any.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by Alb3rtO View Post
Are you sure is the phone original? What is wrote under the battery? Made in ....... ?
How would that help determine whether the phone is original? Surely if someone could make a passable fake of a phone they could just as well make an accurate copy of the "Made in ...." label?

Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
How would that help determine whether the phone is original? Surely if someone could make a passable fake of a phone they could just as well make an accurate copy of the "Made in ...." label?
lol

Tags
op's screwed xd