Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Today I found that T-Mobile in Bay Area dramatically increased 3G bandwidth - measurements with speeakeasy and speedtest show now from 3MBits/sec upto 5MBits/sec download and 1MBits/sec upload. Previous values were around 1.1MB/sec and 0.5MB/sec.

And in the same time I forgot yesterday to put my N900 on charger at night. But today morning it had almost FULL charge - pretty same as yesterday at night. Usually it is around 1/2 or 1/3 battery in the best case (standby for 24h).

So, it seems a conclusion - the REAL 3G (or frequencies) consumes much less power.

I don't know about battery cause I don't live in an area with signal but I checked out mobilespeedtest.com with a 7MB file yesterday while out and about and was astonished to have gotten something like 5276K, this was on the east coast in upstate NY area.

The Following User Says Thank You to xopher For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
It seems T-Mobile starts roll-out a high speed 3G finally.

My son's Nexus1 has also big boost.

PS. but it is not anywhere, in business district near NASA center it is even lower than before.

OK holy smokes!!!! Just did another and got 10090Kbps

EDIT: ok I quit.......for fun 16000K.....this was even using a laptop connected through the N900 via Mobile Hot Spot....sweet!!

EDIT: hmmmm.....makes me wonder if this is why connectivity has been very unstable the past week in this specific area

Last edited by xopher; 2010-12-08 at 20:44.