Posts: 71 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Brighton, UK
Got a bit of an odd problem with a new memory card I put i my N900 tonight which has got me scratching my head.

I had an old 2GB card in the phone and decided to treat myself to a new 16GB card. The method I used to swap the data over between the old card and the new was as follows:

1. Powered off the N900 and remove old 2GB card
2. Put 2GB card in Linux laptop and copied everything off using the command 'cd /media/sdcard; find . -print|cpio -vdump /home/phile/card'
3. Unmounted 2GB card, put 16GB card in laptop
4. Copied data back over using the command 'cd /home/phile/card; find . -print|cpio -vdump /media/sdcard'
5. Unmounted 16GB card, put it into the N900 and powered on

The pictures which are in the DCIM folder on the memory card no longer appear as thumbnails in the photo browser app. Thinking that maybe the tracker had got confused by the card swap, I ran 'tracker-processes -r' from an xterm. This didn't help - even though I can see the pictures if I browse the card using the file manager, they still don't appear in the photos app.

Just to confound me further, I took a picture with the regular camera application and this appears in photos as expected. It's only the images that I copied over from the old card that don't appear to be recognised.

The N900 is completely stock in terms of kernel and stuff. It has been updated to PR1.3 and I've had no other problems with it since doing the update about 3 weeks ago.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by PhilE; 2010-12-08 at 23:31.

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Brighton, UK
Just for the hell of it, I tried running 'tracker-processes -r' as 'user'. I'd been running it as root up until now.

Running as the regular user has resolved the problem, so I'll leave these 2 posts in case someone else has the same issue in future.