Active Topics

Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
well not really but the app is great, if its real...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMkfgFsdPA8

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/word-...383463868?mt=8

Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
nice.........

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I'm not often all that impressed with iPhone apps, since I mainly use Androids, but this is an impressive app. (It speaks less to the iPhone than the app's author, but still...)

VERY nice. This gets use closer to that ubiquitously useful device that bridges fluid communication with other people, even with other languages, and quite possibly allows you to be that much more self-sufficient even when you're visiting another country.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

You'll use this how often?

Get a REAL spanish or foreign language sign and you'll see it will provide a mis-translation, which can sometimes be as bad as non at all, giving you incorrect information.

The video showed english phrases that were word for word, translated to spanish, and then translated back.

Originally Posted by hawaii View Post
You'll use this how often?

Get a REAL spanish or foreign language sign and you'll see it will provide a mis-translation, which can sometimes be as bad as non at all, giving you incorrect information.

The video showed english phrases that were word for word, translated to spanish, and then translated back.
It's not about the frequency or even accuracy, it's about the immediate utility in a situation. You're clearly correct about mis-translations but if you're in a serious pinch and need a clue, knowing that it might be a loose translation, it could be very terribly useful. More importantly, it's about the potential for augmented reality and translation services and what we can probably expect for the future.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

There is still PhototoTranslator for the N900 which is a frontend to the Google's Tesseract OCR program and Google Translate: http://www.cybercomchannel.com/?p=63
I guess it could support even more languages than Spanish and English if you can get it work on your phone. The online translation could probably easily replaced with some downloaded dictionaries.

Cheers, M.

Originally Posted by mick3_de View Post
There is still PhototoTranslator for the N900 which is a frontend to the Google's Tesseract OCR program and Google Translate: http://www.cybercomchannel.com/?p=63
I guess it could support even more languages than Spanish and English if you can get it work on your phone. The online translation could probably easily replaced with some downloaded dictionaries.

Cheers, M.
The method you're suggesting sounds a lot more like Google Goggles (see a hands-on article), far less immediately useful than WordLens.

reminds me of the movie THEY LIVE
put the damn sunglasses on!!!

Originally Posted by leetut View Post
reminds me of the movie THEY LIVE
put the damn sunglasses on!!!
NOOOOOOO!! *PUNCH!*
ARRGH!!! *rolls around, punching and wrestling*

hehe... I love that movie. Especially for that scene.

haha yeah the long punch up in the back lane is all i can really remember from the movie now that i think about it!