Active Topics

Notices

My n900's wifi chip is damaged so I can only download through 3g which is getting expensive. So I'm wondering is it possible to just download the application as a .deb or something on my pc and place it in my n900 and then installing it locally on my n900?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Drgnknghtmn; 2011-01-18 at 08:31.

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Germany
Yes, it should be possible. Download the debs, transfer them to your n900 and than use dpkg -i #.# as described in http://wiki.maemo.org/Installing_applications

icke

or if you dont want to use the terminal, just tab with the n900 filemanager on the deb, the deb will be installed in a few seconds

Thanks for the replies, where do I find the deb files?

Some of the developers on here have a wiki page where you can download the .deb packages, you'll just have to search for them or ask the devs themselves, too many to put links up.

Once you get a link to the package, connect the phone to your PC in mass storage and download direct to the device or memory card

If it's stuff from Ovi Store and elsewhere it's gonna be a hard job getting hold of the .debs.

The Following User Says Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 463 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mumbai, India
U can download debs from Ovi Store also if its a free package.

Download the User Agent plugin for firefox and change it from there...

The Following User Says Thank You to funkmunk For This Useful Post:
I think the methods mentioned here might work only for package that does NOT need to pull in other dependency files.

I can think of three possible alternative:
1) USB-ethernet connection
2) have the n900 developer 'simulator' setup and then use apt-get to get your package(and the associates dependent files), then transfer the files to your real N900 for install.
3) find a nice guy(or the author of the package) on the forum and see if they can send you/give you the entire package.

I have not tried these method, but in theory it should work. If I am wrong on this, please feel free to correct.

good luck

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
lots of the [announce] threads on here, amongst others, will have a link to download the . deb, transfer it to your n900 whatever way you see fit. open the .deb with the n900's file manager and it will install, couldn't be easier.

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

And then some ppl still ask why Meego (and LSB) use and prefer rpm-package system and not deb.

couldnt you just mirror the maemo and extras repos locally and even maybe onto an sd card and use a local file:// apt repository?