Couldn't we get 3g Video calls using N900??? I am going to buy one next week please tell what should I do buy this phone or different one?

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Nope, the N900 can't do 3G video calls and likely never will, if that feature is important to you then you're better off buying something else.

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
skype, msn, google video calls all work just fine though over both 3g and wifi

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

I did a 3G gchat video call over 3.5G. The feature's ability is dependent on whatever carrier you have. Some allow it, some don't.

If we are talking about classic cellular 3G video calls, then these calls aren't supported.

Why does everybody think videocall is video chat? If someone asks for videocall don't talk all those skype, gtalk or anything cause it's just plain irrelevant.
Anybody who thinks i'm wrong prove it. Call those skype/gtalk etc. contacts even when they are logged out we'll see...

calling is done by a set up of a telecommunication circuit
while chatting is realtime IO of packet data(Streaming)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Radicalz38 For This Useful Post:
Damnnnnnn what a waste I really love this mobile

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
This is something that baffles me all the time: iPhone doesn't have 3G video call, Android doesn't either have and the same story is with Blackberry. Nobody moans about them.

But when we speak about n900, that is a different story.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by fuzenify View Post
This is something that baffles me all the time: iPhone doesn't have 3G video call, Android doesn't either have and the same story is with Blackberry. Nobody moans about them.

But when we speak about n900, that is a different story.
It's probably all about where you come from.

When you're used to features that were standard in mid- to high-end phones years ago... and when your friends have such phones... you'll miss this feature. This is especially likely among N900 users who may be long-time Nokia customers. Nokia 3G phones do have video calling.

Android and iPhone users in my experience come from a different background. They move from low-end to midrange and never used or even knew 3G video calls before. (You can tell how many users here don't even know what video calls are and think we're talking about IP-based video chats.)

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
I suspect it's because there's a large amount of people that started using smartphones before iphone blackberry and android existed. Eventually even non-smartphones had 3g video calls like almost everything had mms.

For those people who used an android, blackberry or android as their first phone more advanced than the ones designed for Africa and the developing world, which for some reason were insanely popular also in the US, they obviously don't miss what they've never had. In the US nobody else has 3g video calls either, so nobody misses it there at all.