Active Topics

hi all, can anyone please explain me how to block a specific update? its actually annoying, and makes my device slow everytime i connect to internet

i dont want to disable que repos cuz i still want to update all my other apps, just dont want 1 app to get updated.

how can i do it?

cheers

Posts: 159 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Norway
Originally Posted by arnoldux View Post
hi all, can anyone please explain me how to block a specific update? its actually annoying, and makes my device slow everytime i connect to internet

i dont want to disable que repos cuz i still want to update all my other apps, just dont want 1 app to get updated.

how can i do it?

cheers
Hi there, download Maemodder, and press the "Update notification" button, and your device wont search for updates unless you tell it to

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=maemodder

Kind regards,
Futtawuh

------------------------------------------
Alienware M15X
Razer Naga/Lycosa/Charcarias
Win7 - Ubuntu 10.10

Did I help you ? Then thank me ! --->

Last edited by futtawuh; 2011-01-31 at 20:25. Reason: TYPOS!

The Following User Says Thank You to futtawuh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Alternatively, if you still want the update notifications for other stuff you can pin the "offending" package as follows (using the terminal and not including the round brackets)

Code:
root
echo "Package: (pkg-name-here)
Pin: version (present-version-no-here)
Pin-Priority: 1001" >> /etc/apt/preferences
In subsequent searches for updates the apt system should not want to present notification of an update. Note that the package will never get updated if further updates appear whilst this entry resides in /etc/apt/preferences.

Last edited by handaxe; 2011-01-31 at 23:20. Reason: clarity

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
ah, thats great, but how or where do i check the package name and the number? :P

first time ill pin a package

tnx!!!!!!

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Code:
dpkg -s (package_name) | grep Version:
Will give it to you. If you want to see all the info about the package, including whether or not it is installed ok, leave off the "| grep..." bit. If you don't know the exact package name (required for dpkg) then use this (it will spew stuff but easily scrollable thru) and you will see the proper name:

Code:
apt-cache search (key-word)
(key-word) is part of the package name. You do not need to be root for these, unlike the pinning steps, as you then are writing to the /etc/apt/ directory

Last edited by handaxe; 2011-02-01 at 20:57.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 519 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Malaysia
how if i want to unpin a package?

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Dark_Angel85 View Post
how if i want to unpin a package?
Just remove the appropriate lines from /etc/apt/preferences (or delete the whole file if you want to unpin everything).

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Malaysia
erm.... sorry... I'll try to be more specific...

I downloaded the Community SSU and i wanted to patch it with the desaturate patch..... I tried asking here http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...045#post934045

and Reffyyyy said that i had to pin a package (not sure if it is to pin the hildon-desktop or mp-fremantle-community-pr) in order to have apt-get upgrade not showing that hildon-desktop needs to be upgraded

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
I know you asked there in the first place.
Well there is also the answer http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=128

The Following User Says Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
please dont get angry lol, i still cant find the package, let me add this, its documents to go, i downloaded the package to my computer then transfered it to the n900 via usb, cant see anything like documents to go in the search :S

Tags
blacklist, ignore update