Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Based upon a comment by Aonsaithya made in this post I thought I'd put up a thread to discuss the question raised.
"I wonder if Nokia would take a shortcut, and introduce Meego on the E7 to get it on the market faster?"

Getting Nokia to introduce MeeGo to anything but the back room development crew is going to be a challenge with the current crew. But if the PlanB folks have their way that might change. So, knowing other things have to happen first what about the E7 and MeeGo? Who knows, someone might figure out how to hack it on there without Nokia's help.

Last edited by tzsm98; 2011-02-14 at 23:04. Reason: add link

The Following User Says Thank You to tzsm98 For This Useful Post:
as those phones are not meant to be hackable nor we will have access to their drivers, ireally doubt it will happen.
Also, i think E7 is also based on an arm11 cpu. that CPU is really good on power consuption not so much on anything else. So even if you get meego on it will be slow.
If miracle occurs and the E7 will have a working meego image, ill be joinin this party =)

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on May 2010 @ NewYork
Meego is far from done. To introduce it now would turn people off and have a more divesting effect. What needs to be done is the promotion of Symbian^3 till Meego is ready. Meego would be good to go before WP7 is ready (Early 2012 I think, correct me please).

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ironm8 View Post
as those phones are not meant to be hackable nor we will have access to their drivers, ireally doubt it will happen.
Also, i think E7 is also based on an arm11 cpu. that CPU is really good on power consuption not so much on anything else. So even if you get meego on it will be slow.
If miracle occurs and the E7 will have a working meego image, ill be joinin this party =)
I was thinking about how Nokia themselves would support this whole-heartedly, not just as a hacking project. The CPU issue is something else, though. No experience on that.

Originally Posted by deyons View Post
Meego is far from done. To introduce it now would turn people off and have a more divesting effect. What needs to be done is the promotion of Symbian^3 till Meego is ready. Meego would be good to go before WP7 is ready (Early 2012 I think, correct me please).
Well, not literally "now", but I don't think demonstrating Meego on a new and attractive device would work against them. I wouldn't even dream that if this happened (in some astral layers of existence), it would happen in less than 4-6 months :/

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
...it's not a matter of hardware - it's the missing ecosystem and the problem that MeeGo is far from done to run within the hands of normal users (not talking about N900 nerds ;-))

Sorry, I don't think the E7 has enough processing capabilities to run MeeGo.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Originally Posted by HugoSon View Post
...it's not a matter of hardware - it's the missing ecosystem and the problem that MeeGo is far from done to run within the hands of normal users (not talking about N900 nerds ;-))
it is about the hardware. Meego was designed to run on nothing less than 800mhz and with 512mb RAM. The E7 doesnt meet both those requirements. Only N series phones will be capable of holding meego, so dont get your hopes up about getting Meego on a symbian-based device later on either.

Tags
dream on, e7-00, in your pants, meego