hi,
1st. im a n900 lover..
2nd i PISSED of because in my univ, and in my town.. the internet is all free, but every time the internet goes ideal for 30 seconds, it shows a page to varefy the conditions/acceptence.

in other words, as im 24/7 connected to net, im actually stuck on the page to "click" i accept and star browsing...(in that time im connected but recieve not interet) thus i have to keep facebook or some website open so it keeps the conenction alive all time..
--- that (fuc*s the battery)
so ... i was wondering if we could come up with soem sort of minute program that would send some random bits of data every 10 seconds or so, so the interet is alive all the time..

this would save my battery, my time (im studying electrical enig.) so its most important i dont keep wasting time .

please if its not too much work. could it be made/possible ?

thanks a lot !

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
You could play around with the ping command.

Start an xterm, gain root and start ping with some interesting time between packets. This will keep things alive.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by zikmir View Post
hi,
1st. im a n900 lover..
2nd i PISSED of because in my univ, and in my town.. the internet is all free, but every time the internet goes ideal for 30 seconds, it shows a page to varefy the conditions/acceptence.

in other words, as im 24/7 connected to net, im actually stuck on the page to "click" i accept and star browsing...(in that time im connected but recieve not interet) thus i have to keep facebook or some website open so it keeps the conenction alive all time..
--- that (fuc*s the battery)
so ... i was wondering if we could come up with soem sort of minute program that would send some random bits of data every 10 seconds or so, so the interet is alive all the time..

this would save my battery, my time (im studying electrical enig.) so its most important i dont keep wasting time .

please if its not too much work. could it be made/possible ?

thanks a lot !
It's been a long time since I've thought of this, back in the days of old-fashioned modems, remember them? But aren't there programs called things like keep alive? You might try a Google on that.

Open an xterm and try something like this:

Code:
while [ 1 == 1 ]; do wget http://www.debian.org/ -O /tmp/deb.html >/dev/null 2>&1; sleep 25; done

Originally Posted by daperl View Post

Code:
while [ 1 == 1 ]; do wget http://www.debian.org/ -O /tmp/deb.html >/dev/null 2>&1; sleep 25; done
hey ! what will this do >?

It will keep the internet alive.

Originally Posted by daperl View Post

Code:
ping -s 1 google.com -i 25

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by zikmir View Post
hey ! what will this do >?
It basically just downloads a website without actually storing it, every 25 seconds.

Its a bit overkill IMO, I just use ping to override it (the WiFi power-saving feature)...

hmmm how about IM ? Doesnt some IM protocols keep hitting the server to retrieve updates?

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Download the proper full ping utility from the repos (search maemo.org/packages for "ping" and there's too in there that are basically the same thing, and work the same).

Everyone advising the use of -i for ping needs to pay attention to this - the default ping utility that comes with busybox preinstalled on the N900 cannot use the -i flag. It's that badly stripped. The full one is in the repos, though, so you can apt-get it or manually download it if you know the name.

But yeah, I do this on my campus WiFi to keep the connection alive. I found that ping at -i 240 is sufficient to keep the connection going for me. (I keep raising it by a minute when I remember to, but pinging every 4 minutes hasn't caused a connection time-out yet.)