Active Topics

Just an observation that prompted a question. It seems that the N900 GUI is usable, at a "good enough" level. However, why isn't it silky smooth, highly responsive? Already running power kernel, OCed, lubed.

One simple example is UI redraw when starting an application. I understand that the animation can be tweak so that the animation stage can complete in, say, 50ms. But graphically, looking at it, it never seem smooth. It aways seem to appear as step-by-step redraw...anyone else feel the same?

The Following User Says Thank You to chatbox For This Useful Post:
Reflash your phone/remove junk thoroughly and kill all that lubbing (leave OC kernel though). My n900 was running slow after I fooled with extras-devel apps. Now I'm more carefull. No glitches, everything is silky smooth. works better than Vibrant that i used to have.

UI on first androids sucked big time. Was slow and glitchy. I had G1... what a nightmare that was.

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
Mine runs fine at 600mhz

Maybe I should clarify the current state of my N900. It's been completely reflashed (no error, no glitches). There's nothing extra on the system other than additional repos, power kernel & lube.

I currently also own an old HTC Magic, a new-ish (last year) Samsung Galaxy S, a Galaxy Tab.

@azkay,

Glad to hear you're happy with yours. Can you verify one thing for me if you don't mind.

From the applications icon screen, start the Media Player. Upon starting hte Media Player, do you see the black, solid hard edge rectangle being redraw on the screen...as a maximizing animation. This maximizing redraw on my N900, though fast, is not "smooth". The stepping of the rectangle being redrawn is not linear, nor exponential...but rather, quite "jerky".

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 321 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Finland (Turku)
Have you tried MaeModder with HWSync of Hildon / Hildon acceleration and dscobsct custom transitions? Maybe it's just my imagination, but at least I have a feeling that these mods made my non-overclocked N900 smoother.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=67989

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
smooth...ness can be built over time. If nokia keep working on the os. It may not be that smooth, but the way the user interface works with MTask and the way to close apps is far suppior to any other mobile os.

Last edited by Dave999; 2011-03-26 at 08:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Hildon itself is quite smooth, it's not the OS's fault, but the PVR's drivers and limitations.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 486 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, England
Originally Posted by chatbox View Post
@azkay,

Glad to hear you're happy with yours. Can you verify one thing for me if you don't mind.

From the applications icon screen, start the Media Player. Upon starting hte Media Player, do you see the black, solid hard edge rectangle being redraw on the screen...as a maximizing animation. This maximizing redraw on my N900, though fast, is not "smooth". The stepping of the rectangle being redrawn is not linear, nor exponential...but rather, quite "jerky".
Hi Chatbox

Mine also runs smooth as a baby's bottom at 600mhz...

I see nothing like you describe above, for me it just starts - smooth, quick and ready...

Dan

The Following User Says Thank You to Dancairo For This Useful Post:
the only way to feel almost as android and ios user is by using opera mobiel 11. it is damn smooth. beside that, i know what you mean. N900 is very powerfull but its not as visually atractive as other new oses.
i didnt overclook because my n900 is almost new and i am woried about my warranty

wouldnt it be possible to use drivers from meego on maemo?

The Following User Says Thank You to maniu For This Useful Post:

Tags
just shoot me