Posts: 105 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ India
What is the easiest way to transfer files between two N900 using wifi. scp is possible but not user friendly and either one of us has to share our root password which is not acceptable.

you can use bluetooth and send files using the built in file manager's 'share' option.

if you really need to use wifi, you can check out this thread

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=69912

it allows one n900 to act as a wifi hotspot and share a folder via samba. the other n900 would need to be able to mount samba shares though. there is an app called wizard mounter but i'm not sure it actually works. personally i use easy debian to mount samba shares but this is overkill

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 189 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Brazil
Maybe use n900ftp and openftp server, but first you would have to try to connect the n900 to each other, and the only help I could find was this thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=51817

Unless you pretend to do it in your home with a WiFi router and both connected to that HotSpot, that's another history...

Last edited by Temporal; 2011-03-26 at 18:17.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by niloy View Post
What is the easiest way to transfer files between two N900 using wifi. scp is possible but not user friendly and either one of us has to share our root password which is not acceptable.
It seems to be an overkill for what you want to do...anyway let's try this: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...1&postcount=19

What is the easiest way to transfer files between two N900 using wifi.
Is there access point / Internet connection available?

scp is possible but not user friendly and either one of us has to share our root password which is not acceptable.
I think scp is user friendly, but it is only for command line.
No need to share root password, any user-password pair works. If user doesn't have password you can create it:
Code:
sudo gainroot
passwd user
With scp you can pull and push, so only one phone needs ssh-server and shared password.

Posts: 105 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ India
I insist on wifi over bluetooth because wifi is way faster. Bluetooth sucks for large files.

Wifi connection is not the issue, we know how to setup adhoc network which is easy with hotspot app.

The "easy" transferring of files is the issue. Too bad there is no gui client for file transfer using ssh. Neither there is any port of "ip messenger" type app.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestion guys.

pretty sure grsync is available in a repo somewhere, maybe try that, combined with preshared ssh keypairs or using user account (never log into phones as root.. thats asking for trouble)

How about using "Email" to send the file ? that should be pretty easy .

Or you could use

jetbytes.com and send the link via email and the other party just need to download. (You can send Big file with this)

Or of course using Pidgin to send file and receive via another pidgin.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen View Post
Is there access point / Internet connection available?

I think scp is user friendly, but it is only for command line.
No need to share root password, any user-password pair works. If user doesn't have password you can create it:
Code:
sudo gainroot
passwd user
With scp you can pull and push, so only one phone needs ssh-server and shared password.
But any user could gain root easily unless you jail them in ssh chroot.

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
easiest way i found was using TinySMB.

My n900 is now broken so I can't confirm the following steps, but I think it was:

connect n900 to wireless network
Open TinySMB. If on the right hand side it says WLan IP != TinySMB IP, theres a step to make then the same
Observe TinySMB IP address
Start TinySMB Server
From your pc, type in \\(IP) where IP is the IP address of TinySMB.
'You should be able to access your files from the pc this way. Initially you'll only have access to MyDocs, but under "Shares" you can add more.

If it doesnt work, hit refresh or stop then start the server again.

In the event you don't have a wireless network, butyour pc has wireless (aka you dont have a router), use Wireless Hotspot, connect the two computers to each other, then repeat the TinySMB instructions

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Storm_11 For This Useful Post: