Need to send my phone away to be repaired. I have done a full backup with backup menu 0.62 (I believe this backsup absolutely everything?)

I now wish to wipe the phone clean, ie. original rom and no user data.

I have seen all the threads and wiki's for doing this via USB but it is possible to do via the phone itself?

Posts: 601 | Thanked: 549 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Redditch, UK
seems like a perfect candidate for the old rm rf argument!

Posts: 94 | Thanked: 61 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Shoreham
I believe if you go into the setting screen and tap the text at the top you will get the option to clear he device and reset to factory standard.

Let me know how you get on with this as I also need to get my arse in gaer and send my poorly N900 back to have the usb fixed, its only been broken for 6 weeks, I just cant bring myself to send it off though!!!

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
You could install the old backup menu, the one that writes images and write a clean image. IIRC, at least one has been posted. I think it's an image, not a tar.

Oh, also, you can start a restore and them pull battery. That should fix it. (BM wipes before restore). Which is basically Switch's rm -rf.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

I was looking for that yesterday didn't think to look in the top menu, doh!

I'm guessing you could possibly boot from an sd card and then reflash not sure how you would do it though.

Originally Posted by ndi View Post
You could install the old backup menu, the one that writes images and write a clean image. IIRC, at least one has been posted. I think it's an image, not a tar.

Oh, also, you can start a restore and them pull battery. That should fix it. (BM wipes before restore). Which is basically Switch's rm -rf.
I take it the phone would still boot after doing this?

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by jonathanp View Post
I take it the phone would still boot after doing this?
Nohohoooo....

Not to an OS, anyway. Hence the wipe thing. if you want it clean, you need to restore a clean image. Or use clear device menu. Not sure what it does, but I assume it will clear contacs, messages, settings. Don't think it can revert installed software though. Or wipe all 3rd party data.

rm -rf or kill the restore = wipe, no boot.
restore clean root image = boot, but settings and data left on opt, needs manual cleanup vis terminal or mc

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.