I'm considering purchasing the N800 but have a question. Could I plug in the USB720 EVDO card into the USB slot on the N800, and then install Verizon's AccessManager software to make a cellular data connection (eg. 1xRTT/EVDO) directly from the N800? This obviously assumes that I have a data plan with Verizon.

Based on what I've read so far, I'm guessing that I can't yet use the USB port for this type of activity, but I have not yet seen a concrete answer.

Thanks for your help!

No.
It won't work.

The USB on the N800 does not do host mode.
There are hacks that sorta make it work, but even then, only for storage class devices.

that's too bad. it's hard to compete with the Ocean and iPhone without this.

Hi

I am not a technical guy and dont understand technical answers.But please help me to understand.. I am looking at the option of buying a USB modem from a cellular provider and came across this post..is it something do with the USB port or will it be made vailable at a later stage? Is there a workaround?

Regards
Venkat

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
venkatease:
Right now there isn't any support for plugging devices into the USB port on the N800. The only thing the USB port is good for is connecting the N800 to a PC. New software (2008OS) will be released for the N800 before November is over. It is possible that this new software release will enable support for plugging all sorts of things into the N800's USB port (with an adapter cable). The only other thing that might prevent this from working is whether the USB port on the N800 can supply enough power. There isn't really a good way to know whether this is the case without trying it.
Right now, I would say your best bet is to wait for 2008OS (the new N800 software) and then wait for someone to try what you're trying to do. There are definitely other people interested in this and I'm sure that someone will do a nice write-up of how they got it to work or why it can't work.

John

Thank you very much for the details.. I am not a techie and was getting frsutrated to the core..Now having understood what is possible from you i will wait..I have waited for the last six months after buying the N800..Thanks again.

Venkat

Hi John

Now that this OS2008 is out and people trying it out , may i know some info about the possibility of the USB Host Mode option..Please do let me know incase if you have some info.Thanks

Venkat

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Look at the cradlepoint router. It's a very small wifi access point and it'll take a USB EVDO modem. It'll also work with an Express Card via a USB adapter. You just need to buy an external battery for it. I'm thinking about doing just that, with either a pellican case or an otterbox case.

There is another thread running on Connectivity Options for N800 which i started sometime back...People have started sharing details reg USB host mode support in OS2008. Please go through the same..Might be useful to you guys..

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Cradlepoint now has a battery powered version of their mobile router (EVDO to Wifi). See the last post in this thread:

Mobile/Cellular Routers