Active Topics

Posts: 105 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Baltimore, USA
hello everyone,

anyone know a way i could get my phone to lock itself when the charger gets unplugged?

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I don't know of a way, no. You mean lock as in the "secure device" thing, where you have to type in a code when you unlock? If so, I think you have a good use case, that is, when charging, the device is usually in a secure location (e.g. beside your bed), so you don't need it to be locked, but when you pick it up in the morning, you want it to be locked.

Yes Im talking about securing the device.

The reason why: In Massachusetts it is now illegal to text or surf the web while driving, this is for good reason and i have nothing against that, BUT now if you get stopped, the officer can ask for your phone and look through it. If its locked I can either tell him the code or tell then to get me a warrant.
=)

so the idea is as soon as it leaves my car charger I want it to lock

Posts: 565 | Thanked: 618 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
It should be done pretty easily with dbus. I'll add to my connlock when I have time.

Sweet.. Connlock is a sweet idea.. how about also giving the capability to lock it when you get to a certain wifi.. =) I have a router in my car hahaha

the program dbus-scripts-settings has a function for triggering a script when charger is unplugged.

put this in a script:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
dbus-send --system --type=method_call --dest=com.nokia.system_ui /com/nokia/system_ui/request com.nokia.system_ui.request.devlock_open string:"com.nokia.mce" string:"/com/nokia/mce/request" string:"com.nokia.mce.request" string:"devlock_callback" uint32:'3'
And set it to be triggered by charger unplugged in dbus-scripts-settings

The Following User Says Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 565 | Thanked: 618 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by madmaze View Post
Sweet.. Connlock is a sweet idea.. how about also giving the capability to lock it when you get to a certain wifi.. =) I have a router in my car hahaha
I have been planning that to the next version. I was busy last weekend repartioning my n900, but I'll add it next weekend.