Active Topics

Please help!! this is what all happened.. i removed the sim from the n900 for some reason to put in my old mobile, while unknowingly i put the battery (loose ..just kept) on n900 temporary to avoid getting lost.. after 15 minutes i returned from work and touched my n900 it was very hot like any thing.. about ~75*C i got suddenly shocked and moved the battery aside and hold the phone in front of AC along with battery. after it was back to normal temprature..I thought the battery was dead and plugged in to a wall charger.. it didnt show any signs.. i got afraid and connected it to usb then after a sec it showed constant green light.. (it gave me some hope)... i tried some tricks like pressing U button while plugging to usb and powering up but no signs of recovery... later i connected it back to wall charger it shows green light (even if battery is not there)... please help me to bring my n900 back with out flashing as i'm not at home right now... thanks

Originally Posted by TransTech View Post
Please help!! this is what all happened.. i removed the sim from the n900 for some reason to put in my old mobile, while unknowingly i put the battery (loose ..just kept) on n900 temporary to avoid getting lost.. after 15 minutes i returned from work and touched my n900 it was very hot like any thing.. about ~75*C i got suddenly shocked and moved the battery aside and hold the phone in front of AC along with battery. after it was back to normal temprature..I thought the battery was dead and plugged in to a wall charger.. it didnt show any signs.. i got afraid and connected it to usb then after a sec it showed constant green light.. (it gave me some hope)... i tried some tricks like pressing U button while plugging to usb and powering up but no signs of recovery... later i connected it back to wall charger it shows green light (even if battery is not there)... please help me to bring my n900 back with out flashing as i'm not at home right now... thanks
First: calm down. :-)
From the way you write I can somehow "feel" that you are in a state of shock. ;-)

2. what did you do when removing the SIM card and inserting the battery again? It is not quite understandable.

3. I am German and not a native English speaker and you do not sound like a native speaker either, so everybody here would understand if you ask for help in your native language. ;-)
Also maybe this is helpful for you:
http://www.linguee.com/

What do you mean by
"hold the phone in front of AC along with battery" ?

4. Are the battery contacts in the phone ok? Not bend together somehow?

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Finland
try charging the battery with another phone on external charger. worked for me when my battery got too empty.
my battery didn't get hot, but i think all batteries get hot in use when they are old...

Originally Posted by KetkuFIN View Post
try charging the battery with another phone on external charger. worked for me when my battery got too empty.
my battery didn't get hot, but i think all batteries get hot in use when they are old...
He bought his N900 between 03-06-11 and today.
;-)
So the battery should not be old.
Unless it is a used N900.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
This sounds to me like he has took out the battery to gain access to the sim without turning off the N900, what is not clear is how the device got so hot if he put aside the battery or maybe he put the battery back in and it got hot as the device tried to turn on, holding the phone on the AC he means air conditioning which brough it back down in temprature.

Very unwise and should never be done to just take out a battery before turning off the device and especially if some programmes are still active and running, it is the same as a pc which could in effect totally screw up the operating system hence why he may well need a reflash to put it right.

Ok Sorry for my language.. AC is Air Conditioner...
So this is what I did>>
1] Turned off my N900
2] Removed the battery
3] Removed the Sim Card
4] Placed the battery on n900 not inserted.. (half inserted)
5] Took the Sim to old phone and inserted in it...
After 15 minutes...
6] touched n900 to put back the sim
7] it was too hot
8] placed N900 and battery in front of Air Conditioner for 5 minutes
9] Inserted battery into N900 and connected to wall charger
10] No signal of charging for 5 minutes
11] removed the wall charger and connected to Laptop via USB
12] Got green led
13] Searched on maemo.org about battery dead and tried pressing U key while plugging usb (with and wothout battery) and tried powering on
14] some other signal other than green led
15] connected back to the wall charger got green led
16] tried [15] about 5 to 7 times
p.s.1 N900 giving steady green led (not blinking) while connected to usb or wall charger with and without battery ..
p.s.2 My N900 is new and just 1 month 10 days old.
p.s.3 battery contacts are fine

any ideas...

Last edited by TransTech; 2011-04-21 at 16:00.

Just checked by inserting my sisters N900 battery but sadly nothing worked... and ..its DEAD!!!.. is there anyway to access "MyDocs" from computer.. please reply me urgently.. thanks

ok so i have a new problem here... here it goes..
1] After checking my sisters battery in my N900 it doesnt boot.
2] tried charging my N900's battery in other phone and battery charged as normal.
3] after charging i brought my battery back to my n900 and tried to start but no boot
4] tried connecting charger and got yellow steady light.. one more time i'm stucked..

any idea now?...

do i need to flash, if yes then only rootfs or both rootfs and emmc as per my study..

thanks in advance.

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by KetkuFIN View Post
All battery's get hot when used moderate or hard, no matter if they are new or old, but when they are old and capacity is down they have to "work" harder because the discharge rate (C) will be higher due to the lower capacity:
1320mAh drained at 500mA = 0.38C ("normal" work)
1100mAh drained at 500mA = 0.45C ("harder" work)

on the problem:
Sounds like there is a problem with your N900, one last thing is to take the battery out, press power button without battery or usb, see if this helps, if not try again and also short the + & - terminals in the phone (again without battery or usb), now try to turn on the n900 with the battery.

Last edited by dr_frost_dk; 2011-04-21 at 20:39.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Solid yellow indicates the BME is charging in fail-safe mode. That means either the battery is very low in charge or damaged.

The bigger worry is that you could not boot your N900 with an alternate battery. What happens when you try to boot with the other battery? Does it start to boot but fail? Where does it fail?